Need an advice [SOLVED]

Full-scene Motion Blur for Unity Pro

Need an advice [SOLVED]

Postby elija » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 am

Hello,

I bought your MB plugin yesterday after playing with the trial a few months. Really like it so far.
I'm seeing some visual abnormality where it seems to me that the MB is being applied at different amounts, this results in some flickering on the models.
My guess is that this could be tied to the speed the models are moving having a very tight and slight speed changes which are just near the MB velocity threshold or something like this.
Basically I've dialed the MB to my taste in regards to the over visuals. I'm wondering, is there any interpolation can/being used to address such velocity threshold racing?

Thanks
Elija
elija

Re: Need an advice

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Elija,

This seems to be a precision/range issue in low velocity, like you mention. Have you tried dialing down Max Velocity? We're fitting precision to the necessary range.

We could introduce a higher range mode on the next iteration, at the cost of a bit more VRAM, that will be just as fast on desktop or consoles, but slower on mobile. Are you using Mobile?

Kind regards
Research & Development at Amplify Creations
Diogo Teixeira

Postby elija » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:23 am

Hello
Thanks for replying.
I'm using Desktop only.

Thanks
Elija
elija

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:27 am

Hi Elija,

I believe I found the source of the problem. Turns out it was unrelated to precision issues.

Would you mind giving this version a try, and tell me if it solves your issues?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... itypackage

Sorry for providing you with a Trial package. If you are so kind as to authenticate your purchase (e.g. invoice) via [email protected], we can gladly provide you unlocked unreleased versions from then on, as well as add you to our list of customers in order give you access to the developer builds from our download page.
Diogo Teixeira

Re: Need an advice [FIXED]

Postby dimitar.tsaprev » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Hello I just purchased Amplify Motion and too am experiencing inconsistent motion blur when moving objects with physics or in FixedUpdate.

For instance I have a camera with a simple script:
Code: Select all
var speed : float = 20;
function FixedUpdate () {
   this.transform.Translate(Vector3.forward*Time.deltaTime*speed);
}

That would make the motion blur flicker. However, if I change FixedUpdate to Update, no flickering is visible. I'm with the version from the store - 1.2.4. I have the same problem with the player in our game which is a spaceship, moved with physics. No settings can get rid of this flicker issue when the objects are moved in FixedUpdate.

Is this a problem on your side or I shouldn't be using Amplify Motion on cameras, driven with FixedUpdate ?
dimitar.tsaprev

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:53 pm

dimitar.tsaprev wrote:Hello I just purchased Amplify Motion and too am experiencing inconsistent motion blur when moving objects with physics or in FixedUpdate.

For instance I have a camera with a simple script:
Code: Select all
var speed : float = 20;
function FixedUpdate () {
   this.transform.Translate(Vector3.forward*Time.deltaTime*speed);
}

That would make the motion blur flicker. However, if I change FixedUpdate to Update, no flickering is visible. I'm with the version from the store - 1.2.4. I have the same problem with the player in our game which is a spaceship, moved with physics. No settings can get rid of this flicker issue when the objects are moved in FixedUpdate.

Is this a problem on your side or I shouldn't be using Amplify Motion on cameras, driven with FixedUpdate ?

Hi Dimitar,

It should definitely be smooth.

Can you try changing Rigidbody interpolation settings to Interpolate? This is the setting for Rigidbodies that we use in our own physics driven demos.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Cheers
Diogo Teixeira

Postby dimitar.tsaprev » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Thank you for the immediate reply!
I set the rigidbody interpolation to interpolate and moved the camera follow code in Update and this fixed the flickering - it's looking really great! However, now everything gets blurred, including the player. No matter how I set the culling mask, it would blur the player like it blurs the environment. The player is on a separate layer (Player) and I have excluded it from the mask. The problem is that if the Default layer is checked, it would also blur the player and even create blur artefacts behind the 3D Hud (right on the image).

I'm sorry if this needs to be on another topic, because I feel it has to do something with the camera and effect setup but it wasn't present when I had the flickering problem.
dimitar.tsaprev

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 pm

I suspect the objects were not added to the list of objects recognized by Amplify Motion.

For objects to have their own motion blur or to be excluded from the camera blur, you'll need to register objects by adding an "Amplify Motion Object" component to the root of the game object. You can also do it on a prefab. That way, they'll be registered automatically once they're instanced on the scene.

Also, you should also render the 3d HUD using a separate camera (attached to the main camera; but with clear disabled) that render's only the 3d HUD layer (use culling mask) on top of everything else.

Please let me know if this helps.
Diogo Teixeira

Postby dimitar.tsaprev » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Thank you! This helps! I now have the player excluded from the motion blur. I have a problem with several small objects, attached to the player - they get blurred although they are children of the player and are in the Player layer: http://imgur.com/EBczg7k I've had similar problems with Unity's CameraMotionBlur so I'm guessing this is not something that can be fixed with proper settings is it ? If it's not then I'll have to make a new camera, rendering only these objects on top of the others.

About the GUI: It's rendered by another camera already but I can see blur artefacts beneath the image. I fixed that by adding an AmplifyMotionObject component to the GUI object - the artefacts disappeared.
dimitar.tsaprev

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:19 pm

The "Amplify Motion Object" component can add itself to the game object's children if "Apply To Children" is enabled. Can you please check if those small objects are getting a "Amplify Motion Object" component attached in play mode?
Diogo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Motion