Camera Motion Blur

Full-scene Motion Blur for Unity Pro

Camera Motion Blur

Postby Nick_h82 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:02 am

Hi,

I've just been implementing Amplify Motion in my flight sim project, and it looks fantastic- it's really transformed the sensation of speed and movement, and also gives a better sense of altitude when viewing the ground.

At the moment I haven't implemented dynamic objects, rather the player is in a mainly static environment. Therefore I've turned off 'Auto Register Objs' and am relying only on camera motion blur for now. The ground rushing past looks great, but I've had issues with the camera bluring the cockpit interior. As the camera is a fixed child of the interior, there's no relative motion between the two.

In the exterior view, I also have a lot of blur on the aircraft when using the camera rig from Unity's standard assets- more than the surrounding environment. The follow speed is super high, so the aircraft doesn't really change distance from the camera at all, rather it rotates as turns are made. With AM on, there's also a lot more jitter between the rig and the aircraft.

I've had a look through other threads, and it's clear that camera depth can be an issue. I do have a far plane distance of 9000, and near plane of 0.2 However, setting these values to far 1000, near 1 still gives the same problem. Likewise, I have a few depth-based imageFX - fog, SMAA, etc. but moving AM to the top of the stack and even turning off the other effects doesn't help either.

I've attached a screenshot of my settings, I've tweaked these a lot and can't avoid the cockpit blurring without losing the camera blur entirely.

Is there any way to clamp the camera motion blur based on the relative motion between the camera and other objects?

Youtube video of the interior: https://youtu.be/JKBBN0OygUk

Youtube video of the exterior: https://youtu.be/7VGkL8O4Vsk

AMCamSettings.PNG
AMCamSettings.PNG (18 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

AMSettings.PNG
AMSettings.PNG (17.08 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

Cheers!
Nick_h82

Re: Camera Motion Blur

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Hello Nick,

Thank you for using Amplify Motion, we really appreciate it. You are correct, under certain conditions depth values can cause similar issues but in this particular case I believe the problem is simply due to a missing AM component.

Dynamic objects such as the airplane need to have the Amplify Motion Obj script in their component stack, the Auto Register Objs options will do this automatically but you can also do it manually by adding the script to your parent game object.

Let us if that works for your current setup.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Nick_h82 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your help- adding the AM component to all the moving objects with mesh renderers, and then excluding them from the AM motion blur effect, fixed my problem- rewatching the 2nd intro video again I notice you touched on this as a solution.

I want to reiterate how happy I am with Amplify Motion, it's really helped with situational awareness in my game, and just looks fantastic.

Thanks again,

Nick
Nick_h82

Postby Nick_h82 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:09 am

Hi Ricardo,

A quick update; it seems as if transparent objects with an AM component attached that are part of the same moving gameobjects,- visors, windscreens etc. still jitter slightly when moving. Not a huuuge issue for me but still fairly noticeable from the exterior view. Is there a best practice for this, or is it an issue with depth?

Cheers,

Nick
Nick_h82

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Nick_h82 wrote:Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your help- adding the AM component to all the moving objects with mesh renderers, and then excluding them from the AM motion blur effect, fixed my problem- rewatching the 2nd intro video again I notice you touched on this as a solution.

I want to reiterate how happy I am with Amplify Motion, it's really helped with situational awareness in my game, and just looks fantastic.

Thanks again,

Nick

Hello Nick,

Happy to know that it's working for your project, let us know if you run into any additional issues.

Nick_h82 wrote:A quick update; it seems as if transparent objects with an AM component attached that are part of the same moving gameobjects,- visors, windscreens etc. still jitter slightly when moving. Not a huuuge issue for me but still fairly noticeable from the exterior view. Is there a best practice for this, or is it an issue with depth?
Nick

Interesting, just to be sure, the asset has the AM Obj script and is properly excluded? It would really help us debug the issue if you could post a screenshot with the debug mode enabled or if you could send us a sample project with the problem present.

Looking forward to your feedback, thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Motion