Glass shading

Next-Gen Massive Virtual Texturing for Unity Pro

Glass shading

Postby DannyCT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi, I have a workflow question. I work with Unity 4.6.0f3 and AT2 and Skyshop 1.10.1.

I have an building exported as an FBX from Maya 2015 with separate shaders assigned to different elements like wood, bricks, windows, metal etc. The windows have a small logo assigned to it like a restaurant name.

Now I want to have the glass transparant and reflective (depending on angle) at the same time just like real glass would do and the logo to be opaque. But because the model is 1 object and the glass part is on multiple udims, I have no option but to use AT2 for this object. And ofcourse, next to that I want it also to interact with the HDR from Skyshop.
That leaves me with the cutout shaders but when I use those, the details I have as half transparant dirt on the glass becomes really hard. Should I solve this some way with the layers or do I really have to break up the mesh and have the windows totally separate? The ideal thing would be if I could just paint some opacity/transparancy maps in Mari but I have the idea it's not really that easy... :)

Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Danny
DannyCT

Re: Glass shading

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Hello Danny,

Unfortunately Amplify Texture 2 does not support virtualized semi-transparent materials, you should isolate those parts and remove them from the culling mask in the Amplify Texture Manager. If the semi-transparent materials are not removed from the culling mask any virtualized overlapped textures will fail to stream properly.

Additional info can be found in section 10 of the AT2 Manual.

Let me know if the information above helps. Our apologies for the inconvenience, it's a bit troublesome to redo/adjust parts of the model but unfortunately there is no other way around it.

All the best,
Ricardo Teixeira
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby DannyCT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your fast response! I will just break the models up, luckily the whole street isn't done yet ;)

Danny
DannyCT

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:48 pm

No problem. Happy to know it's not too late to adjust your models. Let me know if you run into any additional issues or if you have any questions regarding the workflow, I would be happy to help.

All the best,
Ricardo Teixeira
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Texture 2 - Development Builds