Specular issues

Next-Gen Massive Virtual Texturing for Unity Pro

Specular issues

Postby fisherman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi there,

I have been playing with the AT2 trial for some time (latest version installed here, also latest Unity 5). Now I started to create the specular maps I need for some buildings (metal, stone, concrete etc.) I did this in the past and know how to do this. However there is a strange issue: As soon as I switch from the AT2 Standard shader to the AT2 Standard (Specular) shader and apply the spec maps (same multi-uv tiles as the diffuse and normal maps), the material/whole building turns into one piece of silver :?

I attached a picture showing the chimney. The specular map has different rgb values for the bricks, the concrete and the red metal roof. The alpha channel has also different grey values (smoothness). The diffuse and normals are saved out of Photoshop as png, but the specular was saved as uncompressed 32 bit TGA to provide 8 bit for RGB and the alpha as well. What could be going wrong here? I tried to import the Unity 5 shaders from the AT2 folder, but it tells me "nothing to import, all assets from this package are already in your project" so this should not be an issue?

(left picture: AT2 standard shader, right picture: AT2 standard (specular) shader
Attachments
chimney.jpg
chimney.jpg (174.53 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
fisherman

Re: Specular issues

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch, we would be happy to help.

AT2 now includes separate packages for Unity 4 and 5, the Unity 5 package automatically imports the AT2 ready shaders and there is no need to import them manually.

The problem you are experiencing is usually caused by shader version related issues or an incorrect virtual texture preset; I suspect that in this case it’s caused by the VT preset.

Did you upgrade from an older AT2 version or is this a clean installation using the latest AT2 trial version available?

In the virtual texture inspector tab does updating and rebuilding solve the problem? What shader properties do you have listed under Specular/Metallic?

All the best,
Ricardo
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby fisherman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi Ricardo,

thanks for your quick and efficient help - you pointed me in the right direction.

When I first encountered this issue, I did a fresh install of Unity 5 and AT2 last night. But the problem persisted.

I checked the virtual texture settings. The Layout Preset was Unity5_Specular. But the "Shader Property" value in the SPECULAR panel looked completely wrong (see screenshot). I did not touch it after the fresh install - unfortunately I can't recall if the Unity project was an existing one or if I created a new one for my test. But I do remember that in all my previous test projects there was no such issue with specularity.
I switched to Unity5_Metallic to check if the value was correct (it was). I switched back to Unity5_Specular, and the "Shader Property" value was corrected automagically. After rebuilding the virtual texture, everything looks fine.

Thanks again for your help.
Attachments
u5.jpg
u5.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
fisherman

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 am

Thank you for the additional information, we really appreciate the feedback.

My apologies, I mentioned the single Unity 5 preset in my earlier post but that feature is currently not publicly available. I will update you soon, let us know if you run into any additional problems.

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Hello,

I sent you the latest development preview build. Let us know if you run into any problems, we would be happy to help.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Texture 2 - Development Builds