Custom Lighting Issues

Node-based Shader Editor

Custom Lighting Issues

Postby Genjin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I have a problem with making a custom lighting shader in Amplify. My need is that in darker / shadowed parts the object darkens itself but it never goes full black. Currently with Amplify, whenever there is low light it becomes pitch black. This is not the behavior I'm expecting though. Here's a comparison against Legacy Diffuse:

Full Amplify Nodes:

I'd like to try to define how bright and dark it can get using the Ramp Texture, but keeping the same brightness as the Legacy Diffuse Shader would help as well. I don't want shadows on it.

By the way, I've observed the same issue with the CustomLightingToon Example, just try to turn off Directional Light in it and it becomes pitch black as well.

Any idea how I can get it to still shade in the dark?

Thanks in advance
Genjin

Re: Custom Lighting Issues

Postby Amplify_Borba » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 am

Hello Genjin,

Thank you for getting in touch and for reporting this issue.

I've confirmed that there's a problem with the way the Light Attenuation node is behaving, and as a result this has been escalated to the developers for further investigation.

We'll get back in touch once we have some further developments on this situation, apologies for any inconvenience caused!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Genjin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

I decided to try out the new "Blinn-Phong Light" Node in regards to my issues with the Lighting and I succeeded in making it work. Thank you for adding that Node!

One suggestion I'd like to make is to provide an option to hide the Node from Inspector. In my use case I do not need its Specular and therefore don't need it exposed to the Inspector either. Right now I am simply assigning a Black Color Node to the Specular Slot of the Blinn-Phong Node in order to "disable" the Specular, but it still exposes the "Shininess" slider and the Title "Blinn-Phong Light" to my Inspector.

Other than that, it's working perfectly. Thank you so much!
Genjin

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 am

Hello!

Glad to know you've managed to sort out the issues with the new node, apologies for not getting in touch with you earlier!

Regarding your suggestion, the Blinn-Phong Light node is actually a recently added Shader Function and, as result, you may freely edit it to suit your needs or build your own function! You may find it in the following folder: AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/EditorResources/ShaderFunctions/Blinn-Phong Light.asset

I strongly advise that you build your own though, since when updating to the latest ASE the original function may possibly be overwritten.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues, thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby RobRamsay » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:14 am

Will there be support for reflection probe data in custom lighting?
RobRamsay

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:19 am

Hey there, you can use the Indirect Specular Light to retrieve the reflections in Custom Lighting mode.

Please let us know if you come across any issues, we'll be happy to assist.
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor