Post Process Stack - AO / DoF issues

Node-based Shader Editor

Post Process Stack - AO / DoF issues

Postby RobRamsay » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:45 am

Hi there,

I have created the popular Hair Shader known as Hair Shader 2.0 with Amplify Shader Editor on the Asset store and have a current client wishing to use AO and Depth of Field in the Post processing stack. I created various alpha methods of the shader such as Transparent (legacy soft fade but depth order issues), Cutout, Alpha with the Alpha to coverage option and A custom Shader for better shadows.

Now, the main issue is that Post Process AO can be seen through certain modes and DoF can be seen conflicting or cancelling out in other modes. Most of this will be down to the depth buffer fighting with values internally so might land on the doorstep of the Unity Graphics engine or even how graphics are processed so might be out of your hands, but maybe there is hope.

Here are some videos of the problem:

My video:
https://youtu.be/zCIHyDrp4G4

Clients Video:
https://youtu.be/tbDF6FmJOqU

Please help.
RobRamsay

Re: Post Process Stack - AO / DoF issues

Postby RobRamsay » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:16 pm

On further investigation, I see that the Standard Shader with Fade mode has also this issue, so not blaming Amplify Shader for this issue, just wondering if anyone knows a good workaround? Cutout and Opaque seems to be fine. Transparency, well, sorting issues as always there. Just wondering if I need to some kind of extra depth pass or if there is any other methods I can use to make the DoF work correctly.?
RobRamsay

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 am

Hello, apologies for the delay in our response, from the video comments it seems that a user was kind enough to provide good insight regarding this matter.

Setting up your hair shader with multiple passes is likely the best way to deal with most common issues, and seeing how our HD templates are already multipass, you can refer to the documentation for more information on how to set them up.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby RobRamsay » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Many thanks, I am looking into it, is there any video tutorials on Multipass yet as I am not great at following text instructions.
RobRamsay

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Unfortunately we only have the documentation for now, together with a sample which you can find at the AmplifyShaderEditor\Examples\Official\MultiPassDistortion folder.

We're hoping to improve its accessibility and user experience as this feature matures, and perhaps in the future we can offer some template specific tutorials in video format.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor