Tiling Question

Node-based Shader Editor

Tiling Question

Postby _george_ » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Hello there,

I'm new to Amplify and just following along the youtube tutorials. I made the multiply shader with two textures, with the hexagon pattern panning across the rock, and when I apply that material/shader combo to a couple of different objects in the scene, the textures have totally different scales.

On a plane/ground, the textures are massive; on the shaderball model they're medium sized, and on a robot mesh they're small. Can anyone explain why?

If I try to reduce the scale of the pattern on the plane by increasing the tiling of the texture in the material in the plane's inspector, then the tiling changes everywhere. And nothing I do to the tiling setting of the hexagon pattern changes the scale of the pattern on anything.

I'd like to make the texture look uniform on everything, and get rid of this weird mish mash of resolutions. And I'd like to be able to change the scale of the pattern if this is possible?

If anyone could help me understand how this works I'd be really grateful!

Thanks so much :)

scales.jpg
scales.jpg (238.46 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
_george_

Re: Tiling Question

Postby Amplify_Borba » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:07 am

Hello, the way the texture is applied to a mesh's surface is dependent on it's UVs, and it can be manipulated in several ways such as generating different UVs for a mesh, changing certain texture's own settings or through our Texture Coordinates node, which allows you to specify custom Tiling and Offset values.

One possible way to deal with this if you want to use the same shader for different objects / meshes is to create different materials for each particular case, so that you can use different Tiling values on each material.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, we'll be happy to help!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby _george_ » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 am

Aha, I think I understand what I need to use now. This post was also helpful - I didn't understand how to feed in the object scale: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=514

Thanks for your help :)
_george_

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Good find, didn't quite recall that post!

And thank you for letting us know that this situation has been clarified, please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions or concerns, thank you!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor