Outlining flat mesh

Node-based Shader Editor

Outlining flat mesh

Postby confused.joe » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi guys, I'm trying to use amplify shader editor in order to create a very specific shader for a procedurally generated FLAT mesh.

I've managed to achieve most of what i wanted to do but I'm failing to find a way to create an outline around this mesh. The method I last tried to use involved the outline node with its type set to custom as this allows me to offset the outline. With this i can add "outlines" that are basically the mesh translated to the side, meaning it shows up in 2 sides of a flat rectangle, but ideally i'd get it to be shown on its 4 sides :)

I've also tried most of the standard samples Amplify provides and they all seem to rely on more complex meshes. Sooo... is there any way I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
confused.joe

Re: Outlining flat mesh

Postby Amplify_Borba » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello, thank you for getting in touch and for your support!

Unfortunately, our outline implementation isn't able to handle every type of situation.
It might be possible to tweak our outline solution to fit this specific situation through masking and culling but I don't think that it would be optimal, instead I recommend that you look into some sort of custom screen space solution as it should be more adequate for this purpose.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Re: Outlining flat mesh

Postby confused.joe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks, Borba. I'll look for a different solution :)
confused.joe

Return to Amplify Shader Editor