Unity Standard Shader using Amplify

Node-based Shader Editor

Unity Standard Shader using Amplify

Postby Adam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey, I am new to shaders and trying to grasp all the concepts at once can be a bit daunting, amplify shader has ben great so far in aiding me on this journey :P

I was wondering if its possible to emulate/reproduce the Standard unity shader with Amplify?
Would be a very helpful tool to have such a shader included so that one can compare and study how its done all in 1 shader.
Main issue I have is reproducing Standard shader "Emission" setting.

A more specific type question I have is about creating a shader with clipping based on camera angle to a face/normal.
If anyone has any tips here, would be much appreciated :)
Adam

Re: Unity Standard Shader using Amplify

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Adam wrote:Hey, I am new to shaders and trying to grasp all the concepts at once can be a bit daunting, amplify shader has ben great so far in aiding me on this journey :P

I was wondering if its possible to emulate/reproduce the Standard unity shader with Amplify?
Would be a very helpful tool to have such a shader included so that one can compare and study how its done all in 1 shader.
Main issue I have is reproducing Standard shader "Emission" setting.

A more specific type question I have is about creating a shader with clipping based on camera angle to a face/normal.
If anyone has any tips here, would be much appreciated :)

Hello Adam,

Thank you for using ASE, we really appreciate the support. It's possible to reproduce the Standard Unity Shader, simply plug your texture sample nodes, set their defaults and configure the shader parameters in the left tab. The shader parameters will vary depending on what you need to build but the defaults should work pretty well for most materials.

Can you elaborate on what kind of issue have you run into while trying to reproduce the Standard Shader Emission? Can you provide any additional information regarding the shader with clipping based on camera angle to a face/normal that you are trying to build? Just to be sure that we are on the same page regarding the effect that you are looking for.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Adam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

The clipping effect I am trying to achieve is to have faces become transparent when nearing 90degrees to the camera. So if a plane is facing the camera sideways it becomes transparent gradually. Lets say the transparency starts at 75degree angle and becomes fully transparent at 90degrees.
In the example picture I provided you can see the faces marked with "Transparent" are almost at 90degree angle to the camera.
Adam

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Adam wrote:The clipping effect I am trying to achieve is to have faces become transparent when nearing 90degrees to the camera. So if a plane is facing the camera sideways it becomes transparent gradually. Lets say the transparency starts at 75degree angle and becomes fully transparent at 90degrees.
In the example picture I provided you can see the faces marked with "Transparent" are almost at 90degree angle to the camera.

Thank you for elaborating, I will pass it on to the ASE developer. And the Emission effect?
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Adam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm

The emission problem I will solve within a few moments myself as I just got my hands on the Standard shader code lol. :D
I would still love to see an ASE reproduction of Standard shader from ASE expert tho... since I will probably, inevitably, most likely, definitely botch it somewhere.
Adam

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Adam wrote:The emission problem I will solve within a few moments myself as I just got my hands on the Standard shader code lol. :D

Can you share what the problem was? We would really appreciate it.

Adam wrote:I would still love to see an ASE reproduction of Standard shader from ASE expert tho... since I will probably, inevitably, most likely, definitely botch it somewhere.

We currently cannot provide an universal solution, it really depends on what you actually need to build. We do have plans to offer more complex shaders along the lines of what you are looking for, an UBER shader, so to speak.

I will get back to you as soon as possible regarding the fade effect.
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Adam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Problem is Albedo Color, in order for Custom Shader to look like Standard the color has to be set to Black. In standard shader however its white. Problem must lie in the "add" node maybe? Should I use something else there?
I need the color to behave the same way it does in standard shader since we rely on it for coloring instead of the textures.

Adam

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Adam wrote:Problem is Albedo Color, in order for Custom Shader to look like Standard the color has to be set to Black. In standard shader however its white. Problem must lie in the "add" node maybe? Should I use something else there?
I need the color to behave the same way it does in standard shader since we rely on it for coloring instead of the textures.

Using the Multiply node instead should do it.

Regarding the fade effect that you are looking for:

Be sure to let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Adam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am

Hey, Multiply node did the trick for the Standard shader thx.

Having issues with the transparency shader tho.
Here is an example of how it should look. This is just looking at the Unrendered side. In the end I would like to use multi pass or just turn the Cull off and get the effect working.

The node setup does not seem to do anything tho, no matter how I change the variables I don't seem to get any effect at all.

In your example the nodes have sort of color coding to them, is that a feature in a newer version of ASE?
Adam

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 am

Adam wrote:Hey, Multiply node did the trick for the Standard shader thx.

Having issues with the transparency shader tho.
Here is an example of how it should look. This is just looking at the Unrendered side. In the end I would like to use multi pass or just turn the Cull off and get the effect working.

The node setup does not seem to do anything tho, no matter how I change the variables I don't seem to get any effect at all.

In your example the nodes have sort of color coding to them, is that a feature in a newer version of ASE?

Try setting the Blend Mode to Transparent instead of Translucent, that should do it. The Translucent mode is usually used for screengrab based effects.

The different color coding is the Debug Mode, Hold [ W ] to view it, double-press to toggle it.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Next

Return to Amplify Shader Editor