Real-time Reflection on water

Node-based Shader Editor

Real-time Reflection on water

Postby Cyhzault » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Hello,

I'm an IT student and I'm currently working on a VR project. I'm trying to get a colorfull and clear water with a soft reflection effect.

I'm stuck on the last part, is there a way to make a proper real-time reflection using only nodes? If so, which are the nodes to use?

Thanks for your help, i'm quite new with shader :)
Cyhzault

Re: Real-time Reflection on water

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Cyhzault wrote:Hello,
I'm an IT student and I'm currently working on a VR project. I'm trying to get a colorfull and clear water with a soft reflection effect.
I'm stuck on the last part, is there a way to make a proper real-time reflection using only nodes? If so, which are the nodes to use?
Thanks for your help, i'm quite new with shader :)

Hello,

Thank you for using ASE, we really appreciate it. Reflection in VR can be a bit tricky, have you looked into Real-time Reflection Probes?

Be sure to check the included Simple Refraction sample for a custom node network example.

Looking forward to your feedback.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Cyhzault » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks for your quick response :D

I wasn't aware of Reflection Probes, this seems to be what i'm looking for. I'm going to look into it and i'll let you know if i manage to use it nicely.

I really appreciate your help (and your product),
Money well spend :)

Nice day,
Cyhzault
Cyhzault

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am

Cyhzault wrote:Thanks for your quick response :D
I wasn't aware of Reflection Probes, this seems to be what i'm looking for. I'm going to look into it and i'll let you know if i manage to use it nicely.
I really appreciate your help (and your product),
Money well spend :)
Nice day,
Cyhzault

Hello,

No problem, happy to help!

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Fikoljuky » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 am

Hey. I was trying to do reflections using the example from the simple refraction example but I get the whole reflection moving too much. I would like to have it only close to the island in the distance and not have it slide around whenever I move the camera.

https://imgur.com/a/KDX1aiv

Could you provide me some assistance with the issue?

And as for the reflections using the reflection probes, I can't access them from the nodes in amplify so I don't know how i should sample the current texture that is stored in them. It works fine with premade cube maps, but the reflection doesn't work with reflections probes for me. Is there maybe something more that has to be done to get the reflection probe set up to work?
Fikoljuky

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:44 am

Fikoljuky wrote:Hey. I was trying to do reflections using the example from the simple refraction example but I get the whole reflection moving too much. I would like to have it only close to the island in the distance and not have it slide around whenever I move the camera.

https://imgur.com/a/KDX1aiv

Could you provide me some assistance with the issue?

And as for the reflections using the reflection probes, I can't access them from the nodes in amplify so I don't know how i should sample the current texture that is stored in them. It works fine with premade cube maps, but the reflection doesn't work with reflections probes for me. Is there maybe something more that has to be done to get the reflection probe set up to work?

Greetings,

I'm afraid there's not much we can do to assist you, accurate reflections are not straightforward, definitely would involve some work depending on your requirements.

You cannot access probes directly but if you're using Custom Lighting you can try using the Indirect Specular Light Node.

In regards to your specific Light Probe issues, we might be able to help. Can you share your current shader?

Have you considered using Screen Space Reflections?

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Fikoljuky » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:05 pm

I managed to get reflections working with reflection probes in the meantime. The specular values were off in my shader.

The effect looks nice but I'm still considering if I should use it or not as it's a big hit on the performance even at lower resolutions.
Fikoljuky

Return to Amplify Shader Editor