Outline

Node-based Shader Editor

Outline

Postby nelsonCiofi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi.
I just got ASE from assetStore. So far I'm amazed with all possibilities that this tool can bring to our project.
And then I stuck into a problem.
I was trying to create a shader to mimic quixel's megascans. Our project is an open world rpg and we love the high quality of their materials/textures. And i made it work just as I wanted, got a screenshot on the link below.

https://goo.gl/photos/4y1hZhHzcvv8UTsf8

The problem is the outline. I would the same shader everywhere and I wanted it to appear whenever a player mouse over a creature, but it's not even rendering at all. I have tesselation/displacement done exactly as yours included sample.
You can see in the screenshot that it appears to apply a vertex offset to the model.

My first guess was displacement and outline does not work together.
Any helps ?
Thanks !
nelsonCiofi

Re: Outline

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 pm

nelsonCiofi wrote:Hi.
I just got ASE from assetStore. So far I'm amazed with all possibilities that this tool can bring to our project.
And then I stuck into a problem.
I was trying to create a shader to mimic quixel's megascans. Our project is an open world rpg and we love the high quality of their materials/textures. And i made it work just as I wanted, got a screenshot on the link below.
https://goo.gl/photos/4y1hZhHzcvv8UTsf8
The problem is the outline. I would the same shader everywhere and I wanted it to appear whenever a player mouse over a creature, but it's not even rendering at all. I have tesselation/displacement done exactly as yours included sample.
My first guess was displacement and outline does not work together.
Any helps ?
Thanks !

Hello,

Thank you for your purchase, we really appreciate the support. Apologies for the inconvenience but the current outline feature is somewhat limited, it doesn't work with tessellation. We do plan to offer a few additional options at later stage, unfortunately, we don't have an exact availability date. I will register your email and keep you posted on any related developments.

You can see in the screenshot that it appears to apply a vertex offset to the model.

Do you mean specifically regarding the open seams? Sadly, it's a Unity tessellation limitation, you need to make the smoothing/tangents match because the displacement is made along the polygon normal. We do intend to offer an alternative technique but, unfortunately, there isn't much that we can do for now.

Looking forward to your reply.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby nelsonCiofi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:08 am

Thanks for the reply.

For now i managed to get my highlight effect on mouse over enemies with that Rim Light example. I'm still not used to all those nodes but I think in time i will be able to improve the effect.

Thanks again.
You have an amazing asset!
nelsonCiofi

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:26 am

nelsonCiofi wrote:Thanks for the reply.

For now i managed to get my highlight effect on mouse over enemies with that Rim Light example. I'm still not used to all those nodes but I think in time i will be able to improve the effect.

Thanks again.
You have an amazing asset!

Hello,

No problem, happy to help. We will keep you posted on any related developments.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor