Access Vertex ID in ASE

Node-based Shader Editor

Access Vertex ID in ASE

Postby Tom_LeFx » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi,

at the moment I'm melting my brain to get a solution going for a scale effect of my mesh. I came up with the idea to generate the centerpoints of polys and save them as a custom texture (each pixel represents a vertex, sorted by ID)

To sample this texture in ASE, i would need to have the Vertex ID property available to figure out, which pixel i would need to gather my information from.

As of right now, there is no way for me to do that.....or am i missing something?`
Tom_LeFx

Re: Access Vertex ID in ASE

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Tom_LeFx wrote:Hi,

at the moment I'm melting my brain to get a solution going for a scale effect of my mesh. I came up with the idea to generate the centerpoints of polys and save them as a custom texture (each pixel represents a vertex, sorted by ID)

To sample this texture in ASE, i would need to have the Vertex ID property available to figure out, which pixel i would need to gather my information from.

As of right now, there is no way for me to do that.....or am i missing something?`

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch, we would be happy to help. Unfortunately, it's not possible to access the ID at the moment, we can't access the required information with Surface Shaders. Keep an eye out for the upcoming major ASE update regarding shader output customization, it's going to be possible to access the required Vertex ID information.

We'll be sure to keep you posted.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Tom_LeFx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Ricardo

Thanks for getting back to me about that. I - fortunately - found a solution for my problem for now, in that i encode my information as vertex colors...

I'm still looking forward to the upcoming update (i believe i saw some of it at your booth at Unite) because it would be great to have a way to inject more custom shader code while still not having to sacrifice the node based control
Tom_LeFx

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:40 am

Tom_LeFx wrote:Hi Ricardo

Thanks for getting back to me about that. I - fortunately - found a solution for my problem for now, in that i encode my information as vertex colors...
I'm still looking forward to the upcoming update (i believe i saw some of it at your booth at Unite) because it would be great to have a way to inject more custom shader code while still not having to sacrifice the node based control

Hello,

That's great, happy to know that you found a workaround. Indeed, we were showing a small preview of the upcoming update, it's almost ready for release ;)

I will keep you posted on any related updates.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor