Terrain Shaders

Node-based Shader Editor

Re: Terrain Shaders

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:28 pm

louskrad wrote:Yes, I realized it was a bit vague, I guess I was assuming the OP gave the context. Basically I want to use a custom material with an ASE shader on my Unity terrain and I was asking how I could make a shader that supports a splatmap logic similar to Unity's default terrain shader. I need support for at least 8 splatmaps and I need to be able to use proper PBR metal/rough workflow with this shader (Ideally Substances would be better). It would be awesome if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for your concern.

Thank you for the additional information, we want to offer a flexible way of allowing users to create those types of shaders, hopefully in the near future. We'll definitely get back in touch with you as soon as there are any new developments on Terrain shaders.

Don't hesitate to get back in touch should you have any further questions, thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby dink » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 pm

I just came across this thread while browsing around the forums and I'm surprised and pleased to see the Amplify team is building a template shader for terrain. That's fantastic!

It reminded me of an article I wrote (originally just to keep for myself) where I was doing some research on how I could create my own terrain shader using amplify from the ground up. I wrote it nearly a year ago, but studying the subject really helped me get a greater understanding of how terrain shaders are made in most games. Maybe my article can help those in this forum post get the same understanding, so I decided to publish it on my website to link it here:

http://www.alexjamerson.com/blog-1/2017/12/14/terrain-shader-in-unity-a-research-essay

I don't think there's any reason why someone couldn't tackle an environment shader in Unity with Amplify at this very moment. But I'm sure the template coming from Amplify will help folks get a quick terrain without having to build a shader from the ground-up!! :-)
dink

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:00 pm

dink wrote:I just came across this thread while browsing around the forums and I'm surprised and pleased to see the Amplify team is building a template shader for terrain. That's fantastic!
It reminded me of an article I wrote (originally just to keep for myself) where I was doing some research on how I could create my own terrain shader using amplify from the ground up. I wrote it nearly a year ago, but studying the subject really helped me get a greater understanding of how terrain shaders are made in most games. Maybe my article can help those in this forum post get the same understanding, so I decided to publish it on my website to link it here:
http://www.alexjamerson.com/blog-1/2017/12/14/terrain-shader-in-unity-a-research-essay
I don't think there's any reason why someone couldn't tackle an environment shader in Unity with Amplify at this very moment. But I'm sure the template coming from Amplify will help folks get a quick terrain without having to build a shader from the ground-up!! :-)

Hello,

Happy to know that you are interested in ASE for terrain use. Interesting article, definitely a good reference for anyone looking to learn more about Terrain use.

Unfortunately, it's important to keep in mind that certain Unity related Terrain limitations don't allow for Unreal like techniques as referenced. Even though we'll provide a Terrain compatible template, users will be responsible for additional feature implementation.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby louskrad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 am

louskrad

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm

nelsonCiofi wrote:Hi.

I read here in the community that you're planning an update which will include custom outputs. Will it include anything related to terrain outputs? Anything like creating my own shader and use it in default Unity terrain?

PS.: have i said how amazing this product is? It IS!

thanks.

Hey there!

We’ve recently released a new Amplify Shader Editor update, v1.4.1.001, which includes Simple Terrain and a Terrain Snow Coverage samples, available for download through our website.

The package includes a text file with instructions on how to create your own terrains, feel free to check out the CreatingTerrainsWithASE.txt in the root folder.

Do note that, for now, these samples only support 4 splats ( Single-pass ), Multi-pass will be available soon so stay tuned!

Don't hesitate to give us your feedback, we look forward to hear back from you, thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify_Borba

Previous

Return to Amplify Shader Editor