Replicating Unity's Standard Shader

Node-based Shader Editor

Replicating Unity's Standard Shader

Postby sazberryftw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 am

Hi,

I'm trying to use Amplify to recreate the Unity standard shader so I can have more control over it. I seem to have been able to recreate most of it's features, but there is something off about it. It almost doesn't look as shiny and metallic, despite using the same textures/values.

I couldn't tell if maybe it is to do with the way my Amplify shader is reflecting the skybox? Let me know if you need a screenshot of my Amplify shader nodes.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (133.33 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
sazberryftw

Re: Replicating Unity's Standard Shader

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and using the Amplify Shader Editor!

We've just tested on our side with the latest Unity and ASE versions, and everything seems to be working as intended, as you can see in the following screenshot.

Could you share with us which version of Unity and ASE you're using, and send us the shader sample so we can check it out on our side?

On a side note, there are a few things that we cannot fully replicate at the moment, such as detail texture blend mode, which is not a limitation, just small differences in how it is calculated but it wouldn't quite look like the screenshot you've shared.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby sazberryftw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Hey thanks for replying.

I'm on Unity 5.6.1f1 and Amplify 1.2.1. My material isn't currently using the detail texture node so that is fine. I've attatched the shader, wouldn't let me upload the shader for some reason so I zipped it. :)
Attachments
StandardShaderEdit.zip
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
sazberryftw

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:06 pm

We've tested on Unity 5.6.1f1 with the latest ASE version and everything is working as expected, so updating the Amplify Shader Editor is advised.

The only differences that we noticed were in the Roughness channel, the Standard Shader gets its values straight from the Metallic alpha while your ASE shader used a separate RGBA texture for the Roughness ( Smoothness ), if you connect the alpha from the Metallic map you used in the Standard Shader directly to the Smoothness input, you'll achieve the same results.

Please let us know if this worked out for you, thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby sazberryftw » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:12 am

I see, when did Amplify get updated? We only purchased it the other week. Anyway I'll take a look thanks. :) And yes but I purposefully seperated the metallic and the roughness in my shader. :)
sazberryftw

Postby Amplify_Borba » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:34 am

sazberryftw wrote:I see, when did Amplify get updated? We only purchased it the other week. Anyway I'll take a look thanks.

The latest stable release was made available at the 23rd of August, and it introduced Shader Templates along with a couple of fixes and some internal changes. It is already available at our download page through your invoice number and should hit the asset store soon, since it has to go through their approval.

As per our download page:

v1.3.0.001 – 23rd August 2017 – Stable
WARNING: This update introduces some big changes on Amplify Shader Editor.
We strongly recommend for you to backup your shaders and current ASE version before importing this build.

New Features:
* Templates
* Create new shaders from already existing ones which serves as base/templates

Fixes:
* Fixed issue on ports internal data not showing on 'Append' node
* Fixed infinite loop on 'Texture Coordinates' and 'Texel Size' nodes

Do follow us on our Twitter and Facebook pages to get instantly notified when we release product updates, as they do become available earlier on our page!

sazberryftw wrote:And yes but I purposefully seperated the metallic and the roughness in my shader.

So, in that case, is it working as expected?

Thanks!
Amplify_Borba

Postby sazberryftw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Okay thanks for the info. Can't update ASE right now, but once I can I'll check to see if its working as expected. Thanks for the help. :)
sazberryftw

Return to Amplify Shader Editor