Outline Bug

Node-based Shader Editor

Outline Bug

Postby nelsonCiofi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi.

This happened to me a while ago and just now as I updated ASE that I could replicate (i think...)
In the images below you see a strange effect on the outline. It's like the outline is there, but invisible. You can see that when the object is selected in the editor and the Unity built-in orange outline overlap that invisible space.
It starts as soon as I activate tessellation. I know that outline plus tess is not yet fully implemented but the fact is it breaks my ASE. If I deactivate tess, the problem is still there, and it spread like a virus on all other shaders. Every shader with outline stops working and if I create a new one and activate outline it already comes with this problem.
If I copy the shader to another project, it has the same bug effect.
I've attached a version of the Outline.shader example after I did the on/off tess.
Is this really a bug or my ASE is broken? :|

PS.: only the outline stops working, all other features are ok.
Attachments
Outline.zip
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
nelsonCiofi

Re: Outline Bug

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:46 am

Hello Nelson,

Thank you for getting in touch and using Amplify Shader Editor!

We're haven't managed to replicate your issue, would you mind sharing which Unity version you are using?

We don't recommend using outline with tesselation, apologies for the inconvenience.

Looking forward to your reply!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby nelsonCiofi » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi, Borba

I'm using Unity 2017.1.
Though I didn't try to replicate the issue on a fresh install, every time I update ASE the same thing happen. I know that outline and tessellation are not a good matching, but the real problem is that if I activate tessellation on another shader, all the ones with outline loses the outline.
The shader file I attached to the post is working ok with you?
If I come across anything different here I will let you know. Thanks!

In the meantime, I have another question on another subject.
Can I achieve this POM depth intersection effect with current ASE features?

nelsonCiofi

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:42 pm

nelsonCiofi wrote:Hi, Borba

I'm using Unity 2017.1.
Though I didn't try to replicate the issue on a fresh install, every time I update ASE the same thing happen. I know that outline and tessellation are not a good matching, but the real problem is that if I activate tessellation on another shader, all the ones with outline loses the outline.
The shader file I attached to the post is working ok with you?
If I come across anything different here I will let you know. Thanks!

Thank you for sharing the Unity version, what is the exact release ( available in the editor's about window, e.g. 2017.1.0f3 )?

Did you create your shader by editing on of our shader files?
If so, every time you import a new update you'll likely lose what you've edited before.

Can you try to replicate the issue on a new project and send us a sample project with the issue present?

nelsonCiofi wrote:In the meantime, I have another question on another subject.
Can I achieve this POM depth intersection effect with current ASE features?

Not at the moment, but it is something we want to support in the future.

Even though it's not exactly what you're looking for, we've already added Silhouette Clipping.
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Loths » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi Borba,
I've just run into the same issue as described above. The outline on the head (currently the only Amplify shader on the object) doesn't render, but Unity's selection outline registers it.

The outline only seems to show when I set the render queue to transparent. (the fine black lines are unrelated, that's caused by an additional postprocessing outline effect rendering over what is now transparent geometry)

I've only just started using ASE, so this is the first time I've tried to add an outline. The ASESampleOutline shader works as expected but this one doesn't even though all output node setting (except for the name) are identical. The only difference is that I've added a normal map and a rimlight to this shader.

Using Unity 2017.2.0f3 and ASE 1.4.0

If you have any thoughts on how to fix it, that would be awesome
Loths

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Hello Loths, thank you for getting in touch!

We've just tested replicating the node setup you've sent in the screenshot, using the same Unity and ASE versions, but we can't seem to replicate the issue you're having.

Would you mind sending us a shader sample with the issue present?

Looking forward to your reply!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:24 am

As per our contact via PM, this Outline implementation is Forward Only, so it won't work with the Deferred Rendering Path.

If you do have to use the Deferred Rendering Path on your camera, you'll need to setup a Screen Space outline. This article has provides some useful pointers in ShaderLab code that you may easily adapt to our node system.

Please let us know if this information is useful, and if have any further questions or issues, thanks!
Amplify_Borba

Postby marcmantra » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem and challenge. I'm working to try yo achieve the outline on deferred mode. Actually are there a way to achieve using nodes and no coding and/or code adaptation?

Thanks
marcmantra

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:32 am

Hey there!

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to achieve a custom outline effect by only using nodes, you'll require additional scripting and to make use of our Shader Templates.

Let me know if you have any further questions, thanks!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor