Newbie question - reflections

Node-based Shader Editor

Newbie question - reflections

Postby HeAdO » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:27 pm

What nodes are used in real-time reflections for water and mirror shaders, would somebody possibly be so kind as to show me how? Thanks in advance. :? :lol:
HeAdO

Re: Newbie question - reflections

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm

HeAdO wrote:What nodes are used in real-time reflections for water and mirror shaders, would somebody possibly be so kind as to show me how? Thanks in advance. :? :lol:

Thank you for using ASE!

There's no specific go-to set of nodes as it really depends on what type of effect you intend to create. Have you had the chance to test Real-time Reflection Probes?

Be sure to check the included Simple Refraction sample for a custom node network example, GrabScreen is usually involved.

Let us know if you have any followup questions, we would be happy to help.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby HeAdO » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 am

Yes, I've looked at the simpleRefraction material. To the extent that I'm aware I don't think cubemaps give accurate enough reflections. Is there a way to accurately and literally mirror everything on a limited area on a mesh instead of projecting a cubemap? The only solution I found was the way Unity did it by using a camera and a C# script. :? Anyways I really appreaciate that you guys take your time to listen. :)
HeAdO

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am

HeAdO wrote:Yes, I've looked at the simpleRefraction material. To the extent that I'm aware I don't think cubemaps give accurate enough reflections. Is there a way to accurately and literally mirror everything on a limited area on a mesh instead of projecting a cubemap? The only solution I found was the way Unity did it by using a camera and a C# script. :? Anyways I really appreaciate that you guys take your time to listen. :)

If you wan't to create an actual flat mirror effect with ASE you will have to apply your own calculations, the Screen Grab and Screen Position node is usually a good place to start. From your description, given that you also want to use it for water, it seems that you are looking for something like Screen Space Reflections.

For flat mirrors, why not use a Free dedicated solution?
https://youtu.be/UD0i_0nJt_4
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34824

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby HeAdO » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks, you've definitely put me on the right track. I'll have to do some thinking on how to make the Screen Grab and Screen Position node reflect properly. And also thanks for suggesting that free mirror asset it'll definitely come in handy.
HeAdO

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:40 am

HeAdO wrote:Thanks, you've definitely put me on the right track. I'll have to do some thinking on how to make the Screen Grab and Screen Position node reflect properly. And also thanks for suggesting that free mirror asset it'll definitely come in handy.

No problem, happy to help. Be sure to let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor