3 Texture Height Blend

Node-based Shader Editor

Re: 3 Texture Height Blend

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 pm

argenzio wrote:I have send you a unitypackage.
Inside "3D PREFAB" folder you will find the prefab.
Thank you so much

Hello,

From my initial quick look, it seems to be missing the Dirt Height texture. Unfortunately, we are closing up for the day, we'll have to pick up this issue tomorrow morning.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby argenzio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Ricardo Teixeira wrote:
Thank you so much

Hello,

From my initial quick look, it seems to be missing the Dirt Height texture. Unfortunately, we are closing up for the day, we'll have to pick up this issue tomorrow morning.

The three Heights maps are assigned correctly... really can't figure the problem.
Do you get any chance to look at the file?
Thank you
argenzio

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:27 pm

argenzio wrote:
Ricardo Teixeira wrote:
Thank you so much

Hello,

The three Heights maps are assigned correctly... really can't figure the problem.
Do you get any chance to look at the file?
Thank you

Hello,

We did a few tests with our assets and it seems to be working as expected. Unless we are missing something, the next step would be to test it with your actual assets.

Can you share a complete sample?

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby argenzio » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:20 am

Hello Ricardo
Thank you for your response.
I have already send you a wetranfer with the project example (check a mail from [email protected]).
From what I understand.. the height blend doesn't work as intended ( at least by me).
The order of the material layer should be independent? Right?
But as you can see from these example there is a big problem.
In Image1 , the grass is on layer 1, and stone on layer 2.
In this case seems to work... but if you switch the two layer (image2).. you can see the grass grow on top of the stone.
Seems that the height blend is not done properly... it doesn't blend with the height of the lower layer.
Please let me know
Thank you!

Screenshot12.jpg
Screenshot12.jpg (247.76 KiB) Viewed 116065 times
argenzio

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 pm

We made a few additional tests and our shader seems to be working. Please keep in mind that the order is critical, top to bottom as listed in the inspector. The grass has no height texture, so to speak, as it's actually managed by the lower layers for rock and dirt. You can think of it as Rock and Dirt "pushing through the grass".

A few small issues on your example; link a single height channel instead of full RGB as you set up, use a full white for the grass height value. I didn't mentione it earlier because I did not have access to the our sample textures, that's the only missing requirement.

Avoid adding more Texture Sample nodes just for the height, pack your channels for reduced memory use and a lower sampler count.

Why not use our sample as is?

Looking forward to your feedback.
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby argenzio » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Thank you for the time you are dedicating.
But I still am sure this is not the right height blending way.
I have made a quick 3 layer Height Blend in Substance Designer (with the "Material Height Blend" node).
This is what comes out:
1) The order on the layer is indifferent (while in your solution it is not).
2) The 3 layer blend each other respectively (while in your solution it is not).

You can see from the image that the stones marked red came out from the mud, since they heights are stronger.
In your shader the Mud totally ignore the below layer... it just grow on top of it.

I understand it could be not an easy task.... but I am asking if this is a limitation of Amplify Shader... or not.
Designer.jpg
Designer.jpg (127.45 KiB) Viewed 116051 times

Amplify.jpg
Amplify.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 116051 times

I will send that example file via Wetransfer
Than you again and best regards
Ruggero
argenzio

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 pm

argenzio wrote:Thank you for the time you are dedicating.
But I still am sure this is not the right height blending way.
I have made a quick 3 layer Height Blend in Substance Designer (with the "Material Height Blend" node).
This is what comes out:
1) The order on the layer is indifferent (while in your solution it is not).
2) The 3 layer blend each other respectively (while in your solution it is not).

You can see from the image that the stones marked red came out from the mud, since they heights are stronger.
In your shader the Mud totally ignore the below layer... it just grow on top of it.

I understand it could be not an easy task.... but I am asking if this is a limitation of Amplify Shader... or not.
Designer.jpg

Amplify.jpg

I will send that example file via Wetransfer
Than you again and best regards
Ruggero

Greetings,

No problem, happy help. Thank you for the sample and screenshots, we will examine it as soon as possible. It's not a limitation, so to speak, likely different techniques.

I'll get back to you as soon as we have a chance to test it.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby argenzio » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 pm

I find this article about Heightmap blending.... for me it's alien language.. maybe could be useful for you.
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AndreyMishkinis/20130716/196339/Advanced_Terrain_Texture_Splatting.php
argenzio

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:51 pm

argenzio wrote:I find this article about Heightmap blending.... for me it's alien language.. maybe could be useful for you.
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AndreyMishkinis/20130716/196339/Advanced_Terrain_Texture_Splatting.php

Thanks for the tip. Do note that in addition to the sample I shared earlier there's actually a simple node to get you started(HeightMap Texture Blend).

Sorry to bother you but the sample shared is broken. Can you resend it? We are unable to compare it to the Substance version but please keep in mind that different techniques will definitely provide different results.

The link above is interesting, you could possibly replicate it in ASE but there's no guarantee that it's the same technique used in Subtance.

Looking forward to your reply.
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby argenzio » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Oh yes you are right... you can open only with Unity 2017.3.
I think newer Substance Design nodes works only with this version.
I know the result with Amplify could be different, but it's not problem.
I compare the two methods only to show where is the problem with the actual shader.
Regards
argenzio

PreviousNext

Return to Amplify Shader Editor