Opacity never fully opaque

Node-based Shader Editor

Opacity never fully opaque

Postby adammarcwilliams » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 am

Hey guys,

First post here so just want to say fantastic tool!

I've used it to create a shader that covers my needs for multiple materials within an interactive animation I am creating but I'm having problems with the opacity in that 0 is fully transparent but 1 is not fully opaque (and if I push the float past 1 I'm still not fully opaque).

Here's my shader. It's also worth noting that if I disconnect all the other nodes bar albedo, I still get the same problem.

https://imgur.com/vYFwAEk

ASE_Dagon_Shader.jpg
ASE_Dagon_Shader.jpg (133.14 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

Using ASE 1.3.1 & Unity 2017.1.1f1

If it helps (as I may have gone the wrong way about this), what I'm looking to do is be able to fade objects in and out during my animation.

Thanks for your help

edit - just realised that image can't be clicked to enlarge so I have linked a copy for readability
adammarcwilliams

Re: Opacity never fully opaque

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:04 pm

adammarcwilliams wrote:Hey guys,

First post here so just want to say fantastic tool!

I've used it to create a shader that covers my needs for multiple materials within an interactive animation I am creating but I'm having problems with the opacity in that 0 is fully transparent but 1 is not fully opaque (and if I push the float past 1 I'm still not fully opaque).

Here's my shader. It's also worth noting that if I disconnect all the other nodes bar albedo, I still get the same problem.

https://imgur.com/vYFwAEk

ASE_Dagon_Shader.jpg

Using ASE 1.3.1 & Unity 2017.1.1f1

If it helps (as I may have gone the wrong way about this), what I'm looking to do is be able to fade objects in and out during my animation.

Thanks for your help

edit - just realised that image can't be clicked to enlarge so I have linked a copy for readability

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch, we would be happy to help.

We can't seem to replicate the issue on our side, can you share a small example of the problem?

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby adammarcwilliams » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks for the fast response.

I've stripped down my project to the bare essentials and packaged it up as an example for you here.

https://we.tl/kaMaPbmpBE

As you scroll around the scene you'll see the opacity issue more clearly.

All of the materials in the scene use the same transparent shader with an opacity of 1 which I've exposed as a property.

At 0 these will be invisible and at 1 they are not fully opaque and seem to change as you scroll about.

If I change the shader back to an opaque one then the scene once again renders solid.
adammarcwilliams

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am

adammarcwilliams wrote:Thanks for the fast response.

I've stripped down my project to the bare essentials and packaged it up as an example for you here.

https://we.tl/kaMaPbmpBE

As you scroll around the scene you'll see the opacity issue more clearly.

All of the materials in the scene use the same transparent shader with an opacity of 1 which I've exposed as a property.

At 0 these will be invisible and at 1 they are not fully opaque and seem to change as you scroll about.

If I change the shader back to an opaque one then the scene once again renders solid.

Hello,

Thank you for your sample, we really appreciate it. You can mitigate the problem by making a few changes to the shader Blend Mode (check attached example). The problem is actually related to the way Unity handles transparent objects, even with the corrected shader, you might still see a few "popping issues" while moving your camera.

Alternatively, you can force object order by assigning individual shaders to each object group set to a different Queue position. e.g. 0 for the walls, 1 for the floor, 2 for the table, and so on.

Apologies for the inconvenience, I wish that there was something else that we could.

Thanks!
Attachments
DagonStandardShader.zip
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby adammarcwilliams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:35 am

Thank you very much for this. Really appreciate the fantastic support!
adammarcwilliams

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:07 am

adammarcwilliams wrote:Thank you very much for this. Really appreciate the fantastic support!

No problem, always happy to help. Be sure to let us know if you run into any additional issues.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor