Deferred lighting with toon shading (custom lighting)

Node-based Shader Editor

Deferred lighting with toon shading (custom lighting)

Postby Liraco » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 am

Is there a way to have toon shading with deferred lightning?

Me and my team have worked on a nice toon shader but noticed in debugging post-processing effects that it has buggy behaviors in deferred lighting mode. You can see anything with the toon shader disappears when viewing normals (in the example, there's one's using a custom ASE toon shader, one made with Shader Forge, and then the example toon shader you provide). AO is messed up (too dark) and depth of field is also wrong (you can see the primitives with red tinge but the heads are completely gray despite being at the same plane as the primitives).

I hope there's a workaround to get custom lighting and toon shading to work with deferred. Thanks!

BTW, this is using ASE v1.3.4 and Unity 2017.1
Attachments
deferred-focus.jpg
Head should be somewhat focused.
deferred-focus.jpg (165.7 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
deferred-ao.jpg
AO should be like in the primitives and wall.
deferred-ao.jpg (162.73 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
deferred-normals.jpg
Toon shaders disappear in "normals" view.
deferred-normals.jpg (156.25 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
Liraco

Re: Deferred lighting with toon shading (custom lighting)

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Liraco wrote:Is there a way to have toon shading with deferred lightning?

Me and my team have worked on a nice toon shader but noticed in debugging post-processing effects that it has buggy behaviors in deferred lighting mode. You can see anything with the toon shader disappears when viewing normals (in the example, there's one's using a custom ASE toon shader, one made with Shader Forge, and then the example toon shader you provide). AO is messed up (too dark) and depth of field is also wrong (you can see the primitives with red tinge but the heads are completely gray despite being at the same plane as the primitives).

I hope there's a workaround to get custom lighting and toon shading to work with deferred. Thanks!

BTW, this is using ASE v1.3.4 and Unity 2017.1

Greetings!

Apologies for the delay, it's best to get in touch directly at [email protected] for dedicated support. Unfortunately, there's currently no workaround as it would involve changing the actual deferred lighting shader, which is global (the same for every light and material).

However, AO and DoF should work as expected. From the screenshot it seems that the shader is not writing to depth, or perhaps depth+normal.

Would it be possible to test a sample on our side?

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Liraco » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Ricardo Teixeira wrote:However, AO and DoF should work as expected. From the screenshot it seems that the shader is not writing to depth, or perhaps depth+normal.

That's the thing though, your own included toon shader example is behaving in the same "wrong" manner (not writing to depth) as the custom shaders we wrote. Which is why I was curious as to there being a workaround. You've confirmed what I was thinking though (that it'll take a rewriting of the global shader.

Should I just send an email directly then (though it doesn't seem there's a fix)?
Liraco

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Liraco wrote:
Ricardo Teixeira wrote:However, AO and DoF should work as expected. From the screenshot it seems that the shader is not writing to depth, or perhaps depth+normal.

That's the thing though, your own included toon shader example is behaving in the same "wrong" manner (not writing to depth) as the custom shaders we wrote. Which is why I was curious as to there being a workaround. You've confirmed what I was thinking though (that it'll take a rewriting of the global shader.

Should I just send an email directly then (though it doesn't seem there's a fix)?

Apologies, I was referring to the actual image effect shader. Without adjustments the AO effect will definitely be displayed wrong, so to speak, setting it to Force Forward Compatibility should resolve your immediate AO issues.

We would be happy to examine the shader, we were unable to replicate the DoF issue.

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Liraco » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 pm

Forcing Forward is something we want to avoid.

I found an answer and managed to get it working by having a custom Deferred Shader:
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidLe ... ity_56.php
Article says Unity 5.6 but this is in Unity 2017.1.0

AO works fine now, and as you can see in the screenshot, normals work too. Hopefully this'll help someone with similar problems.
Attachments
CustomDeferredShader.jpg
After using the custom deferred shader.
CustomDeferredShader.jpg (114.52 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
Liraco

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Liraco wrote:Forcing Forward is something we want to avoid.

I found an answer and managed to get it working by having a custom Deferred Shader:
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidLe ... ity_56.php
Article says Unity 5.6 but this is in Unity 2017.1.0

AO works fine now, and as you can see in the screenshot, normals work too. Hopefully this'll help someone with similar problems.

That's awesome, thank you for sharing!

We'll make sure that it's added to the wiki!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor