Amplifying your potential.
Page 1 of 1

Texture Array returning odd values

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:39 pm
by HellGate
i recently noticed that my material using texture arrays looks very different from my test material that just uses plain old textures. see here: https://i.imgur.com/OXO72iO.jpg (left texture array, right just textures, including texture array settings for normal map array)

now i noticed that most of it is because of the normal map stored in the texture array (comparison: https://i.imgur.com/FpqFv3g.jpg) is very wrong. the IsNormal checkbox is checked at the sampler.

is there something im missing that is not in the docs or is this a bug

unity 2017.1.1

Re: Texture Array returning odd values

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:01 pm
by HellGate
ok i found the problem. the texture array forgot that its in linear space. i had to rebuild the whole array in order to fix it.

it would be nice to have an object to create the texture arrays instead of just a window so i can recreate it just with a button press

Re: Texture Array returning odd values

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:40 pm
by Amplify_Borba
Hello Hellgate, thank you for getting in touch!

Could you confirm that you've used our Texture Array Creator Tool in order to create the Texture Array?

Also, would you please elaborate on the following suggestion?

HellGate wrote:It would be nice to have an object to create the texture arrays instead of just a window so i can recreate it just with a button press


Looking forward to your reply!

Re: Texture Array returning odd values

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:27 pm
by HellGate
Hello thanks for replying.

yes i did use the texture array creator tool to create the array however i had a lot of trouble with unity at that moment, to a point where i could not even open the project anymore. so it might got just corrupted i don't know

what i mean is basically a ScriptableObject that stores what is shown in the texture array creator tool window so you can add, remove, modify settings and then just create it again with a button press (since the created texture array object is kinda immutable)

Re: Texture Array returning odd values

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am
by Amplify_Borba
No problem, we're here to help!

HellGate wrote:yes i did use the texture array creator tool to create the array however i had a lot of trouble with unity at that moment, to a point where i could not even open the project anymore. so it might got just corrupted i don't know


Was this trouble in any way related to our Texture Array Tool? If so, could you replicate it or provide additional details that may help us out figure what went wrong?


Amplify_Borba wrote:what i mean is basically a ScriptableObject that stores what is shown in the texture array creator tool window so you can add, remove, modify settings and then just create it again with a button press (since the created texture array object is kinda immutable)


Thank you for elaborating, the Texture Array Tool may only overwrite previously created Texture Arrays, I can confirm that this is currently a limitation of the tool as it was offered as a simplified solution for creating arrays.

Re: Texture Array returning odd values

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:58 pm
by HellGate
Amplify_Borba wrote:Was this trouble in any way related to our Texture Array Tool? If so, could you replicate it or provide additional details that may help us out figure what went wrong?.


i doubt that. i had some null reference errors on the shader node editor before (sadly i didn't wrote it down down where) but it was only temporary and did not affect my workflow at all. i think it was simple unity and the fact i used the new version of mono.

Amplify_Borba wrote:Thank you for elaborating, the Texture Array Tool may only overwrite previously created Texture Arrays, I can confirm that this is currently a limitation of the tool as it was offered as a simplified solution for creating arrays.


that's good to hear. so far i'm having a very nice time with it without having to learn unity's strange mix of hlsl and whatever that is they created

also a litte request i have is to be able to order in/out params of shader functions because right now all my custom nodes are a mess (also reroute nodes <3)

Re: Texture Array returning odd values

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 am
by Amplify_Borba
HellGate wrote:i doubt that. i had some null reference errors on the shader node editor before (sadly i didn't wrote it down down where) but it was only temporary and did not affect my workflow at all. i think it was simple unity and the fact i used the new version of mono.


I see, that does indeed seem to be on Unity's side, thank you for sharing those details.

Amplify_Borba wrote:that's good to hear. so far i'm having a very nice time with it without having to learn unity's strange mix of hlsl and whatever that is they created

also a litte request i have is to be able to order in/out params of shader functions because right now all my custom nodes are a mess (also reroute nodes <3)


We're happy to know you're enjoying ASE!

Regarding your request, that feature is already implemented, you may drag the node parameters and material properties by holding the left mouse button over the two lines at the left side of their names, sending a screenshot in attachment for your convenience.

FuncParams.jpg
FuncParams.jpg (44.41 KiB) Viewed 25 times


Thank you for your feedback, don't hesitate to get back in touch!