- Unreal Engine
dink wrote: First, it seems like the labeling in the Shader Editor for the UVs is one number off from that figure - which is technically right. The Shader Editor doesn't label the first UV parameter as 0, it labels it as 1. So it's UV1-4, which means UV2 is for the baked lightmap and UV3 is for the realtime GI. This isn't a bug or a problem, I just wanted to clarify this language for the sake of communication. This is actually why I was using UV2 for all my tiling materials, because my tiling UV map doesn't have any overlap and you shouldn't have overlap for a baked lightmap.
dink wrote: Second, in the past I've had issues with using all 4 channels in Unity, so I have always been adverse to using them. But since you suggested it, I went ahead and went for it. And it seems like if I keep all my tiling textures on UV2, as they were before, but I make my Displacement on UV3, this solves the issue and my displacement tiling works correctly. Of course the problem with this is that we're now using 2 UV maps even though it's the same coordinate space, and one should be able to use a single UV map for this instead of 2 identical UV maps. But this is because of the tiling override I demonstrated in the video.
I tried to put everything on UV4, but the same tiling issue occurs. This seems like the best thing to do is to keep Displacement textures on their own UV channel to prevent this tiling override issue.
dink wrote: There's got to be a way to solve displacement cracking in a procedural way. If there's any way to get a mask of the UV seams procedurally, then I think I have a method.
dink wrote: Bad news: I got the odd shader error when using Tessellation again. This time I was not in Deferred rendering mode, which is what seemed to cause the issue last time. I was able to quickly fix it, as you can see in the video link below.
dink wrote: Good news: In my last post I talked about the problem with Displacement cracking and my simple theory to fix it. I tested it using a bespoke mask I painted and it works great. I'm adding a Feature Request/Suggestion here. You can also see that in the video.
Amplify_Borba wrote:We would need to examine it for this one. Lighting use or even togging the "Generate Lightmap UV's" option in your model could mess up your existing layout.
Amplify_Borba wrote:The cracking, so to speak, is caused by a specific Unity limitation. This is present when using ASE because we pull directly from what Unity provides, sort of speak. There are some workaround, hopefully we can provide our own implementation in future version.
Here's an example of a working solution: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/52518
Amplify_Borba wrote:Are you using the latest ASE version available via our website? We could really use a sample for further examination.
Amplify_Borba wrote:dink wrote: Good news: In my last post I talked about the problem with Displacement cracking and my simple theory to fix it. I tested it using a bespoke mask I painted and it works great. I'm adding a Feature Request/Suggestion here. You can also see that in the video.
Cool temporary solution, and thank you for providing the additional details!
dink wrote:I sent a unity package to the Support e-mail you provided. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
dink wrote:If there's any way to get a mask from the UV borders procedurally in ASE, this 'workaround' would be a bit better than how I'm doing it right now. I just don't know if there's a way to do it.
Either way, I don't have time to look for a solution at the moment as I've moved on from my last environment and am working on my next couple of projects.
Thanks for your help, Borba. I look forward to hearing more, and if there's anything I can do to help, I can certainly make time.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest