Error message

Node-based Shader Editor

Error message

Postby abarts » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:51 pm

hello
I have this error when installing the plugin:
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AmplifyShaderEditor.ParentNode.OnEnable () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/ParentNode.cs:329)
AmplifyShaderEditor.PropertyNode.OnEnable () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Constants/PropertyNode.cs:1026)

Ca you help me on this?
Thanks
abarts

Re: Error message

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello abarts, thank you for getting in touch and for your support!

We're going to need some further details in order to assist you in debugging this issue.

What Unity and Amplify Shader Editor versions are you using?

Can you replicate the issue by importing ASE into a new, empty project?

Looking forward to your reply!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Lars Nonne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi,

I'm getting the same Error (using Unity 2017.3.0p2, ASE 1.4.4 (previous versions resulted in the same error).
This error occurs (almost) every time I compile the shader. And it get's called about 100-300 times at the same time.
I created a very complex shader with custom editor.

Is there a save way to "clean up" the nodes, without doing everything again? As I said, it's a very complex shader with a lot of shader functions (and sub functions), so building the nodes again would be a lot of work.
In case I stumble upon a possible cause for this, I'll let you know.

Lars
Lars Nonne

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Lars Nonne wrote:I'm getting the same Error (using Unity 2017.3.0p2, ASE 1.4.4 (previous versions resulted in the same error).
This error occurs (almost) every time I compile the shader. And it get's called about 100-300 times at the same time.
I created a very complex shader with custom editor.

Hello Lars, thank you for getting in touch and reporting this issue.

This is an unexpected error that we have no means of replicating on our side, as the original poster did not share any further details.

We would really appreciate it if you could try to compile the shader in a new, empty project and, if the issue is still present, send the shader to us through [email protected] so we can effectively debug it on our side.

Lars Nonne wrote:Is there a save way to "clean up" the nodes, without doing everything again? As I said, it's a very complex shader with a lot of shader functions (and sub functions), so building the nodes again would be a lot of work.
In case I stumble upon a possible cause for this, I'll let you know.

Could you please elaborate on what do you mean by cleaning up the nodes?

Looking forward to your reply!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Lars Nonne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I just tried creating a new project, importing ASE and the shader, recompiling the shader and applying it to a standard cube and the mesh I was using one of the materials with in the main project. None of the steps resulted in any errors.
Next I will try to reimport the shader in my main project, I'll keep you posted.
My guess is, that the error happens after copy-pasting a node, since there are several bug that can happen when doing so, but I'm not sure.

With "cleaning up nodes" I mean a way to recreate all nodes automatically, for the purpose of seeing if there are some copy-paste errors, that don't show, but do cause errors.

Thanks
Lars Nonne

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Lars Nonne wrote:I just tried creating a new project, importing ASE and the shader, recompiling the shader and applying it to a standard cube and the mesh I was using one of the materials with in the main project. None of the steps resulted in any errors.
Next I will try to reimport the shader in my main project, I'll keep you posted.
My guess is, that the error happens after copy-pasting a node, since there are several bug that can happen when doing so, but I'm not sure.

With "cleaning up nodes" I mean a way to recreate all nodes automatically, for the purpose of seeing if there are some copy-paste errors, that don't show, but do cause errors.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for elaborating!

We'll wait for further information as we cannot debug this issue on our side without replication instructions or a sample.

After compiling all nodes should be "clean", so to speak. If something went wrong during that process, we could only know for sure by examining a sample.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Lars Nonne » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 pm

My current findings indicate, that this error has nothing to do with shaders themselfs.

It occurs every time I save/compile a script (not a shader) and don't have any ASE canvas open.
If I have a canvas open I don't get any error. Closing it and compiling a script again shows the error(s, for me currently about 325) again.
Since the debug message points at OnEnable() in the PropertyNode that looks for the current window,
maybe a check if there is actually a window open is necessary.

Hope this helps.

Lars
Lars Nonne

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:15 pm

I'm not entirely sure on what to recommend, would it be possible for you to send us a simple complete project with the issue present, including ASE, the problematic shader and the custom inspector?

As we mentioned via email, one of our developers will examine the reported problem as soon as possible, so providing the requested sample via our email chain will be most helpful.
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor