Toon Link's eyes and eyebrows - How to?

Node-based Shader Editor

Toon Link's eyes and eyebrows - How to?

Postby H4creations » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am

Hi,

How would I make Toon Link's eyes and eyebrows render on top of his hair? I would have to make sure they don't render on top of everything or other characters' hair. Stencil?

Both shaders for eyes and eyebrows use alphamask currently and alpha cutout. Both materials are on planes placed just on top of the face mesh, and pupils are just on top of the eye plane.

H4creations

Re: Toon Link's eyes and eyebrows - How to?

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 pm

H4creations wrote:Hi,

How would I make Toon Link's eyes and eyebrows render on top of his hair? I would have to make sure they don't render on top of everything or other characters' hair. Stencil?

Both shaders for eyes and eyebrows use alphamask currently and alpha cutout. Both materials are on planes placed just on top of the face mesh, and pupils are just on top of the eye plane.

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure how they achieved it in that specific game but it could be a tricky effect. I recommend starting by adjusting the Depth Offset, be sure to set the Cutout shader Blend Mode to Custom in order to adjust the values.

Do keep in mind that you will need to tweak its values in order to mitigate possible z-fighting related issues.

As an alternative, I recommend using the Local Vertex Offset to offset your eyebrows and eye plane when viewed from the front; it really comes down to your specific model requirements.

A stencil could also be an interesting option but it really depends on how you intend to use it. Have you had the chance to examine the Stencil sample included in the package?

Looking forward to see what you build!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor