Triplanar Tessellation Shader error

Node-based Shader Editor

Triplanar Tessellation Shader error

Postby Sputnik » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:28 am

Hey ,

After following this tutorial https://unity3d.com/es/learn/tutorials/topics/asset-store/introduction-amplify-shader-editor About Triplanar Tessellation Shader I get the following error when I try to enable Tessellation.

Code: Select all
Shader error in 'New AmplifyShader': 'vertexDataFunc': output parameter 'v' not completely initialized at line 98 (on d3d11)

Compiling Domain program with UNITY_HDR_ON INSTANCING_ON
Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME

I am doing something wrong here ? Or does it have to do wit my Unity version (5.6.4f1) I am on the latest version of AS downloaded from here.

Thank you for the help ,
Sputnik

Re: Triplanar Tessellation Shader error

Postby Sputnik » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm

By doing more testing I figured out where it goes wrong, by enabling Instancing the shader gets broken and will start to spit errors even if you disable instancing in the shader editor. Also tested on Unity 2018.1.0b4.
Even afterwards if you create a simple tessellation shader the shader won't work.
Sputnik

Postby elettrozero » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:06 pm

Happened to me too, it's tasselation + instancing problem.

Ever since tasselation doesn't work anymore.

I'm a bit pissed off!
elettrozero

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello, thank you for getting in touch!

This error seems to be related to the way Tessellation is handled in Unity, since we use its technique in ASE.

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do since this is how Unity handles this workflow, in any case disabling instancing and compiling the shader should effectively clear the error, please let me know if this is the case, thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Sputnik » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you for the replay! Just to be clear you can't use tessellation and instancing together because how Unity handles tessellation?
Sputnik

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:36 pm

That's correct, we've confirmed that it's still unsolved as of the latest releases, so it won't be possible to use tessellation and instancing together at this time.
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Sputnik » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Thank you for clearing things up! I just was wonder if it was possible to use vertex offset instead of tessellation or are they the same thing ?
EDIT: Just tested it and it seems to work perfect with instancing and vertex offset !
Sputnik

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Vertex Offset works fairly differently and shouldn't present any issue with GPU Instancing, but thank you for reporting back!

Please let me know if you have any further questions, thanks!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor