Additive blend, always sort

Node-based Shader Editor

Additive blend, always sort

Postby crazyfingers619 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:34 pm

So I'm migrating from ShaderForge, and in that program you would tell a Particle to be Additive here, and if you wanted it to always sort you would also do here as well:

I'm having a bit of issues getting these additive particles to always sort:

Additionally there appears to always be an inherent "Particle Texture" and "Tink Color" in use, and a soft particles factor. Does this use the z buffer even if it's disabled?

Thanks in advance for any help, downloaded lots of sample shaders and looked a bit for resources on particle sorting but didn't find much.
crazyfingers619

Re: Additive blend, always sort

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon May 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Greetings,

We would be happy to assist you, thank you for getting in touch.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by inherit texture and tint, would it be possible to test your shader on our side?

Our developers will get back to you with additional information as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am

Hello! There are a few differences between SF and ASE, for example, the Order parameter in SF is actually the Render Queue in ASE, and the inherent Tint Color and Particle Texture are parameters of our Particles Template.

If possible, could you share with us your SF and ASE shaders, so that we may investigate the differences between both and help you achieve similar results? You may do so privately through our support email at [email protected], if you prefer.

Thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby crazyfingers619 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:37 am

There's really nothing unique about the shader setup that makes it broken, i'm either missing a setting somewhere, or the functionality doesn't exist, so no point sending a shader.

What's odd about the Particle Texture, and soft particle nodes, is they aren't visible in the shader node work space, so there's no way to "delete" them and have these parameters not listed in the materials you make with the shader. It's a little odd to see a "particle texture" paramater in every material, even though you aren't using it in your material setup. Again not sure if the inherited soft particle aspect of the shader makes it use depth testing, although it's a nice feature to have.

I looked all through the shader settings and couldn't find an "editable" Render queue option that is editable to make the particle render at all times, even when obscured. Once a material was made i could choose a few options from a dropdown, but it doesn't really do the same thing as the "Depth Test" from shader forge.

Basically what "depth test" did when you set to "always" is it would render the particle no matter what, even if the particle was behind other objects.

Thanks again for the support.
crazyfingers619

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed May 09, 2018 12:04 pm

crazyfingers619 wrote:There's really nothing unique about the shader setup that makes it broken, i'm either missing a setting somewhere, or the functionality doesn't exist, so no point sending a shader.

I'm afraid we need both shaders in order to examine their differences, we're not entirely familiar with what Shader Forge does. Be sure to send us an example and we'll forward it to the ASE developers.

crazyfingers619 wrote:What's odd about the Particle Texture, and soft particle nodes, is they aren't visible in the shader node work space, so there's no way to "delete" them and have these parameters not listed in the materials you make with the shader.

Do you mean, to simply disable Soft Particles? If so, you will need another template for that purpose - we plan to add additional templates in the near future.

crazyfingers619 wrote:It's a little odd to see a "particle texture" paramater in every material, even though you aren't using it in your material setup.

That's specific to the template used, be sure to check the link below for additional information.

ASE Wiki - Template Parameters

crazyfingers619 wrote:I looked all through the shader settings and couldn't find an "editable" Render queue option that is editable to make the particle render at all times, even when obscured. Once a material was made i could choose a few options from a dropdown, but it doesn't really do the same thing as the "Depth Test" from shader forge.
Basically what "depth test" did when you set to "always" is it would render the particle no matter what, even if the particle was behind other objects.
Thanks again for the support.

Apologies for the inconvenience, I'm sure we can help you resolve the issue as soon as one of our developers is able to compare both shaders.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Thank you, that makes a lot more sense now!

We're missing specific Depth test options in our template, we should be able to add it in upcoming updates.

Until then, simply click "Edit Template" and add the following line " ZTest Always" in order to mimic the Shader Forge mode.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor