depthfade issues

Node-based Shader Editor

depthfade issues

Postby somegai » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:33 pm

depthfade.png
depthfade.png (251.09 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

Hi there!

As you can see in the attached image, I have a "blending" material setup using the DepthFade node, but I need two of the same "blend" materials using this node to ALSO be "blended" somehow.

Regarding the image: The Green/White monkey heads use the exact same shader (different materials) and don't blend (probably because of some weird depth-sorting issue), but they blend fine with any other material (see the cube).

Is there any way to accomplish this with ASE?

My RenderType set to "Custom" and Render Queue set to "Overlay". I am also putting the "depthfade" node directly into the "Opacity" slot of the material. As you can see in my use-case above, I really need lots of these objects to be blended together.
somegai

Re: depthfade issues

Postby somegai » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Sure would be nice to get some answers on this... D:
somegai

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:36 pm

somegai wrote:
depthfade.png

Hi there!

As you can see in the attached image, I have a "blending" material setup using the DepthFade node, but I need two of the same "blend" materials using this node to ALSO be "blended" somehow.

Regarding the image: The Green/White monkey heads use the exact same shader (different materials) and don't blend (probably because of some weird depth-sorting issue), but they blend fine with any other material (see the cube).

Is there any way to accomplish this with ASE?

My RenderType set to "Custom" and Render Queue set to "Overlay". I am also putting the "depthfade" node directly into the "Opacity" slot of the material. As you can see in my use-case above, I really need lots of these objects to be blended together.

Hello,

Apologies for the delay, we were away for Unite Berlin.

I don't think that you can "blend between them" but I'll pass this on to the developers and we'll get back to you asap. Until then, can you please share a shader sample so that we can replicate its exact conditions on our side?

Please note that the Overlay Queue is best suited for things like Lens Flares.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby somegai » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm

This is what I've got:

depthfadegraph.png
depthfadegraph.png (254.17 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

Sorry for the size, but your upload size is TINY and nearly impossible to fight. Took me 8 tries to get the filesize small enough and legible enough to upload.
somegai

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 am

somegai wrote:This is what I've got:

depthfadegraph.png

Sorry for the size, but your upload size is TINY and nearly impossible to fight. Took me 8 tries to get the filesize small enough and legible enough to upload.

Hello,

I'm afraid you won't be able to blend between them as you intend. The shader must have its Render Queue value set to Transparent or higher ( p.e. Blend Mode set either to Transparent or Translucent ) so the object is not written on the Depth buffer. This is an essential configuration since the node is internally calculating the distance value by subtracting the Surface Depth by the value fetched on the Depth buffer.

Do you intend to create some sort of terrain blending effect such as the one demonstrated in the image below? If so, the Depth Fade is not ideal when you need to "blend" more than 1 object. That type of shader would require additional scripting work beyond the scope of our editor, ASE does allow you to create the shader but the actual Gbuffer manipulation component would have to be created and maintained by you.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor