Fixing NormalMap after Vertex Normal Reconstruction

Node-based Shader Editor

Fixing NormalMap after Vertex Normal Reconstruction

Postby DuvE » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:27 am

Hi,

I think it is a tricky question, but still. After using Vertex Offset + Vertex Normal Reconstruction (plugged new vertex normals into the "Local Vertex Normal" input) I still want to use a regular Normal map. But because of Normal Reconstruction, local vertex normals are now different and an old normal map will not work for them.

Is there a way to somehow make this NormalMap follow those new Vertex Normals?

PS: I'm using textures to morph my mesh and normals in a shader, something like this

And the method I have found in this thread https://forums.unrealengine.com/communi ... r-3d-users
DuvE

Re: Fixing NormalMap after Vertex Normal Reconstruction

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Hey there!

You might be able to calculate the difference between the new normal and the old one, pass the result to Tangent space and then apply it to the normal map in some way, although I'm not entirely sure that this will provide the expected results.

Other than the above, I'm not quite sure on what to suggest regarding this matter, but please let me know if this helps or if you come across a better solution!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor