Canvas UI Support

Node-based Shader Editor

Canvas UI Support

Postby JosephHorsmann » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Hello, I'm looking at Amplify Shader Editor as a potential venue to work shaders into the UI side of a Unity project. In our project, we are currently using canvas group alpha values to fade screens in and out. I've spent some time with Shader Graph, which doesn't seem to currently support UI. The objects I apply shaders to in the UI end up discolored (or just entirely black) and don't fade in and out with the rest of the UI.

I've seen that Amplify Shader Editor has UI templates, and looking at this post seems to indicate that it has some capacity to work with Canvas UI, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of examples or tutorials regarding using Amplify Shader Editor for UI elements.

TLDR, what I'm wondering is, will I be able to create shaders using Amplify Shader Editor, apply them to objects like UI Images and have those objects fade in/out via the alpha channel of a canvas group.

Thanks!
JosephHorsmann

Re: Canvas UI Support

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello Joseph, thank you for getting in touch and for your interest!

You can create shaders for the UI through our UI Template, as seen in the the post you've shared, in which the image's Alpha is controlled by a material property. That same property can also be accessed and / or have values passed to it by script, so its definitely possible to achieve the desired effect in a few different ways.

We also provide two samples for UI shaders, which you may learn from and use as starting points for your own custom effects.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we'll be happy to help.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor