Depth fade an absolute value? Why?

Node-based Shader Editor

Depth fade an absolute value? Why?

Postby GermainSauropod » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi everybody,

So I noticed after trying to use the depth fade node, that the value is being transformed to absolute in the code generation C# script DepthFade.cs. This is quite a strange design decision because there are a number of reasons why I would want the value to go into the negative for me to know which side the fade is going into.

For example: You could make an object that is rendered in ZTest Always, and be opaque above the surface, and gently fade out below the surface. Currently with the way the depth fade node is implemented, it is impossible.

So I'm wondering if it would be possible to let the value go in the negative as an option rather than "abs" be the only behavior.

Cheers!

DepthFade.png
DepthFade.png (206.82 KiB) Viewed 643 times
GermainSauropod

Re: Depth fade an absolute value? Why?

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Hello, thank you for getting in touch and for your support!

We really appreciate your feedback, this is a pretty good suggestion and definitely something that we can add in the near future. I'll be sure to get back in touch as soon as it's introduced, please let us know if you have any further suggestions, thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby GermainSauropod » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi! Awesome! Thanks for the quick response :)

We can live with our homemade hack for the time being but I'll keep an eye out for this fix.

Cheers!
GermainSauropod

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Hello, I'm getting back in touch to let you know that we've added the 'Mirror' parameter to the Depth Fade node, which makes sure that no Abs operation is done when its toggled OFF.

In this specific situation, you'll have to explicitly apply the Max and One Minus operators after the depth fade.

Feel free to access the latest ASE version through our website, and please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further feedback, thank you!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor