How to use Particle System custom data with Amplify?

Node-based Shader Editor

How to use Particle System custom data with Amplify?

Postby digzelot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 am

Hello, I'm trying to randomly change attributes of a particle system texture, in this example, it's simply the UV size

But, I seem to not be able to do it using custom data

Image: http://www.antigengames.com/mt-content/ ... coords.jpg

Can this be done? Thanks
digzelot

Re: How to use Particle System custom data with Amplify?

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Hello, thank you for getting in touch and for your support!

You'll need to set your Shader Type to 'Particles Alpha Blended' in order to create particle shaders, please refer to the image below:

This way you'll be using one of our included Shader Templates that is prepared to deal with this specific type of shader.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any further questions.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby digzelot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi, thanks for getting back so quickly - unfortunately I'm having no luck with your extra info. IE, I've made a new Amplify Shader of type Legacy, Particles Alpha Blended; set this shader up the same as before, with a simple texture and Vertex TexCoord node, enabled custom vertex stream 1 xy, and enabled custom data within the particle system and as you can see in the image, the UV's of the texture are not being adjusted in any way. I have tried this with the texture set to read/write just in case, but that also yields nothing different

Image: http://antigengames.com/mt-content/uplo ... ordsv2.jpg

Can anyone else manipulate a texture's UV size via custom data?
digzelot

Postby digzelot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm

After some more testing, I was able to get something to happen, I will continue experimenting from here, but I will admit I'm not 100% sure on what's happening with the node and if anyone can explain exactly what's going on I'd really appreciate it! : ) Regardless, thanks for the info from before, that appears to have helped some!

Image: http://www.antigengames.com/mt-content/ ... ordsv3.jpg

digzelot

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am

No problem, I'll elaborate further on how you'll have to setup your shader for the template to behave as expected.

First you'll need to add a Template Parameter node, and set its 'Parameter' as 'Particle Texture':

I've setup a sample shader that I'm sharing below, with the Particle Texture currently assigned to the Particle System being correctly passed to the Texture Sample, so that we can effectively manipulate it:

Note how the Vertex TexCoord is set to the 'UV Channel 1', so that we access the intended Custom Vertex Stream data that I'm sharing below:

I'm adding the custom values to the original UV coordinates, and the particles are now behaving as expected with its UVs being offset by this data:

Please let me know if this helps, thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor