Billboard Texture

Node-based Shader Editor

Billboard Texture

Postby Osteel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi ASE,

Thanks for this awesome plugin, it's really helped with learning how shaders work.

I'm trying to create a shader in which a given texture is always facing the camera while still being wrapped around the object, but am not sure how exactly to go about it (or what the theory behind it is in order to think of which nodes to use). The closest I got was:

Thank you!
Osteel

Re: Billboard Texture

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello, thank you for getting in touch and for your support!

For screen space effects, you could use the Screen Position node, as per the example below:

You can also check out our ScreenSpaceCurvature and ScreenSpaceDetail samples that are included in the ASE package as two additional examples of this sort of effect.

Please let me know if this helps.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Osteel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Thank you so much, that does help understand the issue! In addition to having the texture face the camera, it also needed to still wrap around the model (it's basically a fake stylized shadow being applied). Is that possible to do?
Osteel

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am

It mostly depends on the type of effect and how you're planning on implementing it.

If you could provide additional information, such as a video or an image of that effect, we might be able to provide some additional insight.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor