Converting shaders to HDRP

Node-based Shader Editor

Converting shaders to HDRP

Postby DaveFace » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi guys

So I know HDRP isn't fully supported yet, but I've been running into some problems converting (relatively simple) Amplify shaders to a project using HDRP. I wanted to check if there were any known workarounds or if we should simply avoid HDRP for the timebeing.

Now, I'm relatively new to Unity having moved from Unreal, so my understanding here could be wrong, but I think I've narrowed down the issue to two problems.

First, nodes that access the renderbuffer don't seem to work in HDRP. I couldn't narrow it down specifically, but Screen Position, Screen Params, Surface Depth, and/or Projection Params were causing the shader to fail with this error:

Code: Select all
redefinition of 'PackedVaryingsToPS::vpassInterpolators1'
Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_MOTIONVECTORS _DITHERTYPE_HORIZONTAL
Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

Second, post process effects don't work at all. They don't produce compile errors, but don't work when applied to a camera.

Any ideas, or should we just switch back to the normal render pipeline?

Cheers
DaveFace

Re: Converting shaders to HDRP

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello, thank you for getting in touch and for your support!

Unfortunately, Unity's HDRP itself is not yet complete and we're consistently updating our templates as it introduces new features and functionalites.

Also, Unity's SRP does not support grab passes, as detailed in this article. As an alternative that is currently only available for the Lightweight RP 2.0.0+ ( we're currently updating our legacy templates to support it ), you can request the Camera opaque color on the pipeline asset which can be accessed in the shader by defining a '_CameraOpaqueTexture', which we support via the 'Grab Screen Color' node in the LW template.

Our Post Process template is not compatible with LW nor HD SRP at this time, apologies for the inconvenience, hopefully we can tackle this in the near future.

Regarding your last question, depending on your project's requirements, it might be best to stay in the normal pipeline until the SRP matures.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor