Graph Not Saving Changes!

Node-based Shader Editor

Graph Not Saving Changes!

Postby rxmarcus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm using Unity 2018.2.3f1 and ASE 1.6.1

I'm converting my project over to use the LWRP.
When I'm editing or creating a new shader under the LWRP PBR template, after I make changes on my graph and save, nothing seems to occur visually in the editor scene with the material to which the shader is applied.

If I then close the shader graph editor, and double click the shader or material to reopen the editor, then none of the changes are there that I just performed.....

Help!
rxmarcus

Re: Graph Not Saving Changes!

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:19 pm

rxmarcus wrote:I'm using Unity 2018.2.3f1 and ASE 1.6.1

I'm converting my project over to use the LWRP.
When I'm editing or creating a new shader under the LWRP PBR template, after I make changes on my graph and save, nothing seems to occur visually in the editor scene with the material to which the shader is applied.

If I then close the shader graph editor, and double click the shader or material to reopen the editor, then none of the changes are there that I just performed.....

Help!

Greetings,

Thank you for reporting the issue, we really appreciate it.

Do you see any errors is your console after saving?

Can you share the problematic shader for further analysis on our side?

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby rxmarcus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Ah yes I do, sorry I didn't notice previously. Here is what I get upon saving.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AmplifyShaderEditor.OutlineNode.PropagateNodeData (NodeData nodeData, AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNodeDataCollector& dataCollector) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Vertex/OutlineNode.cs:85)
AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNode.SetupNodeCategories () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Master/MasterNode.cs:174)
AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.CollectData () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1301)
AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.BuildShaderBody () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1249)
AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.Execute (System.String pathname, Boolean isFullPath) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1286)
AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNode.Execute (UnityEngine.Shader selectedShader) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Master/MasterNode.cs:470)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ParentGraph.FireMasterNode (UnityEngine.Shader selectedShader) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Graphs/ParentGraph.cs:2573)
AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.SaveToDisk (Boolean checkTimestamp) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:1421)
AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.OnToolButtonPressed (ToolButtonType type) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:1516)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsWindow.OnButtonPressedEvent (ToolButtonType type) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsWindow.cs:206)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsMenuButton.Draw (Single x, Single y) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsMenuButton.cs:172)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsWindow.Draw (Rect parentPosition, Vector2 mousePosition, Int32 mouseButtonId, Boolean hasKeyboadFocus) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsWindow.cs:234)
AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:4343)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

I've also attached my very simple graph setup
Attachments
shaderGraph.jpg
shaderGraph.jpg (85.51 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
rxmarcus

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:59 pm

rxmarcus wrote:Ah yes I do, sorry I didn't notice previously. Here is what I get upon saving.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AmplifyShaderEditor.OutlineNode.PropagateNodeData (NodeData nodeData, AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNodeDataCollector& dataCollector) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Vertex/OutlineNode.cs:85)
AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNode.SetupNodeCategories () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Master/MasterNode.cs:174)
AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.CollectData () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1301)
AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.BuildShaderBody () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1249)
AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.Execute (System.String pathname, Boolean isFullPath) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1286)
AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNode.Execute (UnityEngine.Shader selectedShader) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Master/MasterNode.cs:470)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ParentGraph.FireMasterNode (UnityEngine.Shader selectedShader) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Graphs/ParentGraph.cs:2573)
AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.SaveToDisk (Boolean checkTimestamp) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:1421)
AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.OnToolButtonPressed (ToolButtonType type) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:1516)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsWindow.OnButtonPressedEvent (ToolButtonType type) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsWindow.cs:206)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsMenuButton.Draw (Single x, Single y) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsMenuButton.cs:172)
AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsWindow.Draw (Rect parentPosition, Vector2 mousePosition, Int32 mouseButtonId, Boolean hasKeyboadFocus) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsWindow.cs:234)
AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:4343)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

I've also attached my very simple graph setup

Seems like something is definitely not working as expected, please reimport ASE and check for any errors in your console; including non-ASE errors.

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby rxmarcus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 pm

I fully deleted the ASE folder, restarted Unity, reimported ASE and imported the LWSRPTemplates (Legacy), without an errors.

I still get the error when trying to save a shader graph like I showed above.
rxmarcus

Postby rxmarcus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Just testing now, I notice the error happens when I have the Outline node connected to "Vertex Offset" and then attempt to save, otherwise it saves fine....
rxmarcus

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm

rxmarcus wrote:Just testing now, I notice the error happens when I have the Outline node connected to "Vertex Offset" and then attempt to save, otherwise it saves fine....

I'm afraid the Outline effect does not work with Lightweight or HD SRP, it's a specific effect for the Standard Rendering Pipeline("legacy").

Apologies for the inconvenience, we'll try to add something similar in the future but we can't guarantee when as SRP is still development and subject to core changes.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby rxmarcus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Ah ok. Does that mean it's not possible to achieve an outline effect with the SRP and amplify at this time? Or is it just the Outline node that is currently not working? In other words, could I construct an outline effect using a combination of other nodes?
rxmarcus

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:57 pm

rxmarcus wrote:Ah ok. Does that mean it's not possible to achieve an outline effect with the SRP and amplify at this time? Or is it just the Outline node that is currently not working? In other words, could I construct an outline effect using a combination of other nodes?

Not currently possible in the sense that the current outline solution is not made for the SRP pipeline.

I'm afraid I don't have an exact answer for your question, you might need a template; this is actually something that we'll have to investigate on our side.(assuming it's possible)

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor