Safe to commit ASE shader functions to a repository?

Node-based Shader Editor

Safe to commit ASE shader functions to a repository?

Postby Hans77 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:06 am

We have a team of around 15, and only 2 seats for ASE.

I understand that shaders don't require the editor (the folder and all its contents) in order to build and compile correctly. But I was curious if shader functions, and the shaders that call them, also don't require the editor in order to build and compile properly.

Some tests show that everything seems fine, but I was curious if there are possible edge cases where submitting shader functions, and shaders that use them, to a repository that doesn't contain the Editor could cause problems.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hans77

Re: Safe to commit ASE shader functions to a repository?

Postby Amplify_Borba » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:44 am

Hello, there should be no issue when sharing both shaders and functions that have been authored with ASE without the Editor files, at least none that have been reported so far by other users, but please let us know if you come across any!

The shaders that use shader functions look for them through GUID and, as a fallback, it will instead look through name if the id is not available or accessible. Since you're sharing the shaders and functions to a repository, we recommend that you have the following Editor Settings in order to avoid any possible issues:

Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Re: Safe to commit ASE shader functions to a repository?

Postby Hans77 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:22 am

Thank you very much for the thorough reply. I will definitely open a thread if we encounter any issues.

Much appreciation for all the help!!

Best,
Hans
Hans77

Return to Amplify Shader Editor