Any chance for Metal Support

Any chance for Metal Support

Postby spaggi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 am

Hi,

I'm creating an iOS AR app using Unity's ARKit Plugin

https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologie ... it-plugin/

The plugin requires Metal to work. From the Documentation, I read that AO requires OpenGLES3.

Is there any chance for Metal in the future? I'd be quite sad to remove AO from my project as I'm very happy with the results so far
spaggi

Re: Any chance for Metal Support

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:57 am

Hello, thank you for getting in touch!

We apologize for the late reply, our ASE team was present in Unite Berlin during last week so support has been very limited.

Regarding your question, Amplify Occlusion should work great on iOS and mobile devices, requiring either OpenGL ES 3 or Metal Graphics APIs in order to properly display its effect. Did you come across any issues while testing it on your project?

Looking forward to your reply!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby spaggi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi,

no worries, thanks a lot for the response. I hope you had a great time at Unite!

Yeah, I was experiencing issues with Metal using the Standard Unity shader set to "Transparent". The transparent objects were always rendered above all other objects. Disabling AO fixed this.

This happened only on my device with Metal, it works fine in the editor. Switching to GLES3 fixed it as well but as mentioned, ARKit doesnt work anymore.

I'd greatly appreciante any way to resolve this issue.

Best wishes from Germany,
Axel
spaggi

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:28 am

We've seen similar issues to this one before with custom shaders, caused by replacement shaders ( normals ) and usage of different property names, but in order to further debug this issue I'll need you to share some additional information.

Have you tried using Unity's own AO solution, and is the issue present with it?

What Unity version are you currently using?

Looking forward to your reply!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby spaggi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi,

well, I just figured the issue happens also with Unitys Post-Processing Stack AO :(. Is this still somthing you can look into?

as mentioned I'm using Standard shaders with the following configuration

https://imgur.com/a/3kdt9X3

I'm on Unity 2017.1.1f1 and IOS 11.3
spaggi

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:44 am

Thank you for sharing additional details.

It's possible that this issue might be related to the Unity version, have you had the opportunity to try using a different one?

We can run some tests when possible but, unfortunately, we can't guarantee that its something that can be fixed on our side.
Amplify_Borba

Postby spaggi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion.

I did update my project to Unity 2018 (phew!), but this didn't fix the issue unfortunately.

I considered accepting this issue as it will occur rarely, but finally decided to remove AO from my project all together for performance reasons on mobile. I'm a bit sad about this as I really liked the outcome, but I guess AO is not really made for mobile at all except some particular cases. I hope I'll be able to use it in my next project.

Anyway, thanks for your support. Ah btw I'm REALLY looking forward to Amplify Imposters :). Just signed up for the Newsletter :)
spaggi

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello!

It's unfortunate that you've decided to remove Amplify Occlusion from your current project, however, as we're currently working on a more flexible technique that will be available as FREE major update soon, we hope that you can give our solution another opportunity.

For reference, could you share which Unity version you've updated to?

Also, thank you for signing up for the newsletter, the impostors are coming really soon so stay tuned!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Occlusion