Usability feedback

Your feedback is very important to us. We are listening.

Usability feedback

Postby Razmot » Wed May 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi, I was working on shader graph for few days, then checked out shaderforge,
and then impulse-purchased ase;)

Here are a few usability tweaks that would help, in order of importance:
  • * a right click context menu to make a shader function from the currently selected nodes.

• * a right click context menu on nodes to turn them into parameters / function input / back into constants

• * currently when using a color input parameter in a function, we need to add a break into component, that is not cohesive with the other color nodes that directly expose the R G B A values as outputs

• * a library of functions on the right panel under the library of nodes, categorized in sections.
    I suggest that for sections :
    • - official (functions in the 'official' folder)
    • - community ( 'community' folder)
    • - and then allow the user to add the folders he wants with a custom category name, for example Lava category = Assets/LavaPackageFromTheStore/amplify/functions/**
  • *make the parameter window dockable - I d like to have it on the right!
Cheers and thanks for letting us do shaders graphically in 2018 without having to switch to the new SRP ;)
Razmot

Re: Usability feedback

Postby Amplify_Borba » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello, thank you for your support and for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

* a right click context menu to make a shader function from the currently selected nodes.

This is a great suggestion, we actually have plans to implement it in the future.

* a right click context menu on nodes to turn them into parameters / function input / back into constants

We already provide means of quickly changing certain parameters on the nodes themselves, as per the example below:

* currently when using a color input parameter in a function, we need to add a break into component, that is not cohesive with the other color nodes that directly expose the R G B A values as outputs

Although we provide full flexibility for users to create any setup of inputs and outputs within Shader Functions, altering either of those function specific nodes to allow for exposing their channels is out of their scope, so using the Break To Components is the simplest way of achieving it. Allowing these nodes to have their port number changed would likely result in issues as we have no means of keeping the existing connections, and it's also a way of guaranteeing that data is passed into the SF correctly.

* a library of functions on the right panel under the library of nodes, categorized in sections.
I suggest that for sections :
- official (functions in the 'official' folder)
- community ( 'community' folder)
- and then allow the user to add the folders he wants with a custom category name, for example Lava category = Assets/LavaPackageFromTheStore/amplify/functions/**

We currently allow you to add custom categories within your Shader Function's parameters, as per the screenshot below:

You may also add your custom nodes to the category you specify as you code them, and we have no plans to change this implementation at this time.

*make the parameter window dockable - I d like to have it on the right!

Unfortunately, that's not something that we can add the moment. I can't guarantee it but we'll keep in mind if we ever implement major UI changes.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to General Discussion