1 Shader Function - 2 names

Your feedback is very important to us. We are listening.

1 Shader Function - 2 names

Postby riyusaki » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Good afternoon, I would like to know whether it is possible to call the same function several times in the Shader, but use a new name every time? For three different techniques, I need to use the same function, but with different values. Having created one function and called it 3 times, I see only one copy of it in the material settings, because all three functions have the same name. I would not like to create 2 more functions with duplicate functionality, but with a different name. Thanks for your help.
Снимок-экрана-2018-10-05-в-15.21.57.png
Снимок-экрана-2018-10-05-в-15.21.57.png (161.03 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
riyusaki

Re: 1 Shader Function - 2 names

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:27 pm

riyusaki wrote:Good afternoon, I would like to know whether it is possible to call the same function several times in the Shader, but use a new name every time? For three different techniques, I need to use the same function, but with different values. Having created one function and called it 3 times, I see only one copy of it in the material settings, because all three functions have the same name. I would not like to create 2 more functions with duplicate functionality, but with a different name. Thanks for your help.

Greetings,

I believe that specific implementation was added to avoid possible issues but I'll double check with the developers if there's an alternative, planned or currently available.

In the meantime, I recommend creating individual Inputs for values that need to be unique.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Re: 1 Shader Function - 2 names

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm

riyusaki wrote:Good afternoon, I would like to know whether it is possible to call the same function several times in the Shader, but use a new name every time? For three different techniques, I need to use the same function, but with different values. Having created one function and called it 3 times, I see only one copy of it in the material settings, because all three functions have the same name. I would not like to create 2 more functions with duplicate functionality, but with a different name. Thanks for your help.

Just confirmed it, we can't have any duplicates as they are treated as standard shader Material Properties.(not an ASE limitation)

An alternative would be to create a specific input so you can assign different values and names in the actual shader canvas.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to General Discussion