AO performance drops when looking at wall

Your feedback is very important to us. We are listening.

AO performance drops when looking at wall

Postby marten » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:28 am

Hello!
I've been using the SSAO now for a while and I'm super satisfied. My game is a First Person Shooter type game.
I've noticed though that when I stand very close to a wall and looking right into it the performance goes down drastically, my FPS almost halves. I've isolated this is because of the AO. I've tried this both with forward and deferred rendering paths with the same result. Any idea why this happens?

EDIT: Enabling Cache Aware fixed this. But what are the downsides of having cache aware on?
marten

Re: AO performance drops when looking at wall

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:24 pm

marten wrote:Hello!
I've been using the SSAO now for a while and I'm super satisfied. My game is a First Person Shooter type game.
I've noticed though that when I stand very close to a wall and looking right into it the performance goes down drastically, my FPS almost halves. I've isolated this is because of the AO. I've tried this both with forward and deferred rendering paths with the same result. Any idea why this happens?

EDIT: Enabling Cache Aware fixed this. But what are the downsides of having cache aware on?

Hello Marten,

Thank you for using Amplify Occlusion, we really appreciate it. What AO settings are you currently using? A screenshot of your current camera component stack and values used on AO would be very helpful. Does setting the Per-pixel Normals to none help at all?

The Cache Aware performance optimization is recommended when using high-resolutions with high-radius values. It's a specific optimization that might not work well on lower resolutions or older GPU's, it could impact performance in some situations.

We could really use some additional information in order to better replicate your issue.
-Unity version
-Operating system
-GPU
-Target platform

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby marten » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 am

Here are my settings, as I mentioned the Cache Aware option solves the issue for the most part. Changing the per-pixel normal setting didn't affect the performance what I could see.

-Unity version: 5.3.5p7
-Operating system: Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
-GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
-Target platform: Desktop; Mac, Windows, Linux
marten

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:39 pm

marten wrote:Here are my settings, as I mentioned the Cache Aware option solves the issue for the most part. Changing the per-pixel normal setting didn't affect the performance what I could see.
-Unity version: 5.3.5p7
-Operating system: Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
-GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
-Target platform: Desktop; Mac, Windows, Linux

Hello,

Thank you for the additional information, we really appreciate it. We will run a few additional tests on our side and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Quick question - What resolution and Mac model are you using? Does lowering the Occlusion quality, or using the downscale option, help at all? We are not entirely familiar with the 650M capabilities.
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to General Discussion