Layered materials

Your feedback is very important to us. We are listening.

Layered materials

Postby Dinusty » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Is there currently a way to add a material inside of a material? for example I want to make:

A moss Material
A Stone Material

And a main material that has the moss and stone materials in it being lerped via a mask.

I can't seem to find anything on it.
Dinusty

Re: Layered materials

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Dinusty wrote:Is there currently a way to add a material inside of a material? for example I want to make:

A moss Material
A Stone Material

And a main material that has the moss and stone materials in it being lerped via a mask.

I can't seem to find anything on it.

Hello,

With the Amplify Shader Editor? You can't add a material inside another material, so to speak, but you can blend textures using a lerp node and a mask. Is that what you are looking for? Layered materials, similar to UE4, are currently not available.

Looking forward to your reply.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby js_morgan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi yeah I'm really looking forward to this kind of feature or node setup to nest materials in a node to place within a material :)
js_morgan

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:52 am

js_morgan wrote:Hi yeah I'm really looking forward to this kind of feature or node setup to nest materials in a node to place within a material :)

Awesome, we will keep you posted!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Dinusty » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 am

Hey thanks for the reply!

What im asking for is basically what you can do in Unreal with Material functions.

It makes blending materials much more simple.

Instead of lerping each map like albedo, smoothness, and normal you could build each material in a function and then reference those as a single material node inside of the function as a whole. at that point it's just about lerping those nodes and all other maps are connected currently in the background for you.

much easier to look at and understand what's going on. I have a visual idea of how this could work that i can share when im home.

Hope that makes sense.
Dinusty

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:51 am

Dinusty wrote:Hey thanks for the reply!

What im asking for is basically what you can do in Unreal with Material functions.
It makes blending materials much more simple.
Instead of lerping each map like albedo, smoothness, and normal you could build each material in a function and then reference those as a single material node inside of the function as a whole. at that point it's just about lerping those nodes and all other maps are connected currently in the background for you.
much easier to look at and understand what's going on. I have a visual idea of how this could work that i can share when im home.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you for elaborating, along with a few other variations, that's what we have in mind. I should also point out that you will be able to create Material Functions in our editor, it's only a couple of updates away.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Dinusty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Great thanks for the replys :)
Dinusty

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:50 am

Dinusty wrote:Great thanks for the replys :)

No problem, happy to help.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Dinusty » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Just popping back in here to see if the new functions that were added are how were supposed to build materials for easy lerping between two or more materials?
Dinusty

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello,

No updates regarding simplified material blending at the moment, I'll be sure to let you know when we have any related developments.

Have you considered using Shader Functions? It might be an interesting way to simplify the process.

http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title= ... _Functions

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Next

Return to General Discussion