Facet/Low poly effect.

Your feedback is very important to us. We are listening.

Facet/Low poly effect.

Postby SinglePixel.Soft » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi, i'm making a game that i want it to have a low poly effect where the triangles are clearly visible, like Superhot. (the look, not the gameplay :P).
I know that i can remove the smoothing groups in Maya, or that i can make the mesh as "hard", but that would make the engine render each triangle by itself as far as i know, eating up resources.
Is there a way to make a custom shader that would tell the lighting in Unity to render each face flat? Without driving the calls up?
I'd hate to have to make a normal map for every single model that is faceted as it would really eat up most of my time, instead of spending it making a good game.
SinglePixel.Soft

Re: Facet/Low poly effect.

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:23 pm

SinglePixel.Soft wrote:Hi, i'm making a game that i want it to have a low poly effect where the triangles are clearly visible, like Superhot. (the look, not the gameplay :P).
I know that i can remove the smoothing groups in Maya, or that i can make the mesh as "hard", but that would make the engine render each triangle by itself as far as i know, eating up resources.
Is there a way to make a custom shader that would tell the lighting in Unity to render each face flat? Without driving the calls up?
I'd hate to have to make a normal map for every single model that is faceted as it would really eat up most of my time, instead of spending it making a good game.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest, we really appreciate it. It really depends on the actual shader that you intend to construct but we do offer a low poly water sample to get you started.

Be sure to let us know if you have any follow up questions, we would be happy to elaborate.

Thanks!

PS:Check your PM Inbox for an example.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby SinglePixel.Soft » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm

The low poly part of the water shader does what i was looking for, thanks.
SinglePixel.Soft

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm

SinglePixel.Soft wrote:The low poly part of the water shader does what i was looking for, thanks.

Awesome ;)
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby pacoCasares » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:24 am

facededNormalEffect.jpg
To anyone who wonders about this...
facededNormalEffect.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 36836 times
pacoCasares

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for sharing!

The value for the Add node's B input might need to be tweaked according to your specific needs, the LowPolyWater sample serves as a great example for how you can use this node setup effectively.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify_Borba

Postby deadlycrow1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:11 am

pacoCasares wrote:
facededNormalEffect.jpg

This solution doesn't work anymore i think, this is what i get:

and this is how the material looks:

any help? please?
deadlycrow1

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Hello, the solution is working as expected, you can confirm by looking into the LowPolyWater sample from which it was taken from.

This node tree is a simple method to make the edges display hard shading and, although it can be plugged into any shader's normal channel, it will likely require some further tweaking in order to make it work with other sorts of effects.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify_Borba

Postby RogDolos » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:43 am

I believe deadlycrow1 is correct and the example included is incorrect. I'm not a shader expert by any stretch but when that also didn't work for me, a bit of searching and it seems the DDY and DDX are reversed for left/right. Also before plugging into the normal map the world position should be translated to tangent.

This works much better:
Rog_FlatShading.jpg
Rog_FlatShading.jpg (35.73 KiB) Viewed 36247 times
RogDolos

Postby VinceHarada » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 am

RogDolos wrote:I believe deadlycrow1 is correct and the example included is incorrect. I'm not a shader expert by any stretch but when that also didn't work for me, a bit of searching and it seems the DDY and DDX are reversed for left/right. Also before plugging into the normal map the world position should be translated to tangent.

This works much better:
Rog_FlatShading.jpg

Thanks for the solution. :shock:
VinceHarada

Return to General Discussion