Turning an ASE Shader into an Image Effect shader

Your feedback is very important to us. We are listening.

Turning an ASE Shader into an Image Effect shader

Postby EnriquePage91 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello,

I started using ASE 2 or 3 days ago, I'm already loving the results! I am comfortable with node based coding since I've used Blender and Substance Designer for texturing for a long time and also tried Houdini for a while, however I am still getting only started with Amplify and shaders in general; I am however looking forward to the potential I can already see your product has, it is impressive!

I am trying to develop a game by myself and with that,I am sure you can imagine the importance of Amplify for my pipeline. I'm trying to save myself from having to learn to code shaders from scratch simply because I already have to code the game itself, model and texture my assets.. etc.

I would really want to turn an ASE shader into an Image Effect shader that I can use afterwards with my camera to do some crazy effects. I can already imagine the potential it has when combined with substances and am really excited to do it - however - I've been looking for a few days and I have not been able to find much information on the subject other than 2 mysterious youtube videos of a guy who did such however only provided a demonstration of the shader without any advice or links or anything.

I am aware that ASE will eventually be able to natively process Image Effect shaders however since I am not sure how long that will take, I'd be really happy if I could find a workaround.

I am ok with the possibility of not being able to "work" on the Image Effect shader if that is necessary for the moment, I do not mind coding the shader through ASE as a Surface shader until a point where I'm comfortable with it and only then "get dirty" with the coding necessary for transforming it into an Image Effect shader, I honestly just need a way to deal with the fact that I'd rather not have to write the shader from scratch as that will require a lot of studies before being even viable for a game.

At the current moment, I have a shader I started working on a few hours ago which takes a few image textures as properties, amongst these the Render Texture that my Render Camera is providing. I have this shader in use on a plane I have in my scene and I can definitely see how it is doing the post processing I need it to do, I am however unable to turn it into an actual Pixel Processing shader due to the lack of tutorials or anything on the subject, is there anyway you guys could point me out to something? or perhaps guide me with some tips as to how to do this? I'm wondering cause obviously when you can't find what you're looking for, you're usually looking for it in the wrong places...

Any information would be very appreciated, thank you so much!!!
EnriquePage91

Re: Turning an ASE Shader into an Image Effect shader

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:01 am

EnriquePage91 wrote:Hello,

I started using ASE 2 or 3 days ago, I'm already loving the results! I am comfortable with node based coding since I've used Blender and Substance Designer for texturing for a long time and also tried Houdini for a while, however I am still getting only started with Amplify and shaders in general; I am however looking forward to the potential I can already see your product has, it is impressive!

I am trying to develop a game by myself and with that,I am sure you can imagine the importance of Amplify for my pipeline. I'm trying to save myself from having to learn to code shaders from scratch simply because I already have to code the game itself, model and texture my assets.. etc.

I would really want to turn an ASE shader into an Image Effect shader that I can use afterwards with my camera to do some crazy effects. I can already imagine the potential it has when combined with substances and am really excited to do it - however - I've been looking for a few days and I have not been able to find much information on the subject other than 2 mysterious youtube videos of a guy who did such however only provided a demonstration of the shader without any advice or links or anything.

I am aware that ASE will eventually be able to natively process Image Effect shaders however since I am not sure how long that will take, I'd be really happy if I could find a workaround.

I am ok with the possibility of not being able to "work" on the Image Effect shader if that is necessary for the moment, I do not mind coding the shader through ASE as a Surface shader until a point where I'm comfortable with it and only then "get dirty" with the coding necessary for transforming it into an Image Effect shader, I honestly just need a way to deal with the fact that I'd rather not have to write the shader from scratch as that will require a lot of studies before being even viable for a game.

At the current moment, I have a shader I started working on a few hours ago which takes a few image textures as properties, amongst these the Render Texture that my Render Camera is providing. I have this shader in use on a plane I have in my scene and I can definitely see how it is doing the post processing I need it to do, I am however unable to turn it into an actual Pixel Processing shader due to the lack of tutorials or anything on the subject, is there anyway you guys could point me out to something? or perhaps guide me with some tips as to how to do this? I'm wondering cause obviously when you can't find what you're looking for, you're usually looking for it in the wrong places...

Any information would be very appreciated, thank you so much!!!

Hello,

Thank you for using it, we really appreciate your support. It's great to know that you are having a good experience with the Amplify Shader Editor, we look forward to see what you create. We are getting ready to launch a major update that will allow you to create Image Effects or any other required shader type. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as it's available.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby EnriquePage91 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Wow!

Thanks so much for the info, is there any possibility you could give me a release window??

I guess I'll just move on for now on and come back to image effects after then!

Thank you so much and keep up the great work!
EnriquePage91

Postby Amplify_Borba » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:54 pm

EnriquePage91 wrote:Wow!

Thanks so much for the info, is there any possibility you could give me a release window??

I guess I'll just move on for now on and come back to image effects after then!

Thank you so much and keep up the great work!

You can expect it very soon, it's nearly ready for release and currently undergoing heavy testing!

Stay tuned!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello,

Be sure to download the latest ASE version, it includes MAJOR editor performance improvements along with Shader Templates for Image Effects, Sprites and even UI Elements.

Looking forward to your feedback!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to General Discussion