sprite template and misc questions

Node-based Shader Editor

sprite template and misc questions

Postby rkle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi,
I'm fairly new to shaders and have come across a few questions while using ASE:

1. In the Sprite Template -- what does the offset input do? I've messed around with it for awhile and noticed its use in one of the examples but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it.
  2. In the "Simple Sprite" example -- where is _AlphaTex defined? I see that it's global and that there is an affect when I remove it from the graph -- but I can't find where it's actually set.
  3. What's the use of the swizzle node when the append node's functionality seems to encompass the swizzle's functionality plus more? I noticed that the swizzle node is used a lot in the examples -- so presumably it has some advantage, performance-wise maybe?

Thanks!
--Ross
rkle

Re: sprite template and misc questions

Postby Amplify_RnD_Rick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:25 am

Hey Ross,

Sure, we gladly answer them for you!

1- In the Sprite Template -- what does the offset input do? I've messed around with it for awhile and noticed its use in one of the examples but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it.
You just found a bug, the Offset input should allow you to apply an offset to your vertex position.
Thanks to you, we found an issue where the value set on that input port is being ignored in some cases thus causing confusion on your end. We apologize for this.

2 - In the "Simple Sprite" example -- where is _AlphaTex defined? I see that it's global and that there is an affect when I remove it from the graph -- but I can't find where it's actually set.
This value is being set on the Sprite Templates. When you create a shader based on a Template it inherits all its shader properties and global variables.
You can at any point see the contents of the template your're using by hitting the Edit Template button on the Ouput Node Properties window.
You can access these inherited parameters from your shader by using the Templates Parameter node.

3 - What's the use of the swizzle node when the append node's functionality seems to encompass the swizzle's functionality plus more? I noticed that the swizzle node is used a lot in the examples -- so presumably it has some advantage, performance-wise maybe?
Swizzle and Append are very different nodes. An Append node allows the creation of a new vector from different sources as the Swizzle node does a swizzle operation which allows you to reorganize or access certain channels of a vector.
So bottom-line, if you just need to access to certain channels of a single vector than you should use Swizzle, if you need to create a new vector from different sources then you should use Append.

Please check the following link for more information on the Append node:
http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Append

Please check the following link for more information on the Swizzle node:
http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Swizzle

Regarding the Offset issue, rest assured that it will be fixed on our next build. We'll let you know as soon as it is available.

Please let us know if you have further questions!
Amplify_RnD_Rick

Postby rkle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 am

Excellent, thanks!
rkle

Postby Amplify_RnD_Rick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am

Hey Ross,

Just to let you know that we already have the Vertex Offset issue fixed on our current build over the website (http://amplify.pt/download/).

To download it you just need to place your ASE invoice number into the textfield and hit the Unlock button.

Please don't hesitate on reaching us if you come across into any other issues or have any further questions.
Amplify_RnD_Rick

Postby rkle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 pm

Got it, thanks
rkle

Return to Amplify Shader Editor