Photoshop's "Color" blend mode shader

Node-based Shader Editor

Photoshop's "Color" blend mode shader

Postby aroig_gsn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 am

Hello there!

I've been trying to make a UI shader which colorises anything behind it. Just like the "color" layer blending mode in photoshop!

And I've succeeded! But unfortunately this shader seems to be too much for most mobile devices. Even for a Nexus 5X (which isn't THAT old). Though it runs perfectly at 60fps on my LG G6.

I'm guessing it's because what I did is use the Grab Screen Color node and work channel magic from there (mainly RGB to HSV and back again).

I was wondering, does anyone have an idea on how to achieve this same blending mode, but "lightweight", mobile friendly? Maybe some way to bypass having to use the Screen Grab Color node?

Thanks!
aroig_gsn

Re: Photoshop's "Color" blend mode shader

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:48 am

Hello!

From what I understand, the effect you're trying to create is quite expensive for mobile, even if you tried to achieve it via post processing, and none of the faster native blends provided by the shader architecture are able to do this custom sort of blending.

Using the Grab Screen is indeed the best solution without going into custom shader development, as it does allow you to get the image behind the UI object and apply the blending effect to it, even though it comes at a cost.

Apologies for not being able to provide further assistance regarding this matter, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby aroig_gsn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:21 am

Woah thanks for the super fast response!

Thats ok! I'm glad just to know that I shouldn't be toying around with these kind of blending modes for mobile. I'll work on an artistic alternative instead.

Also, thanks to Amplify I was able de deconstruct what the color blending mode does and turn that into nodes. Learned a lot!

Thanks again!
aroig_gsn

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:39 pm

No worries, always happy to help!

Let me know if you have any further questions, thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor