Help with Normals

Node-based Shader Editor

Help with Normals

Postby Iikka » Mon May 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Hello!

I'm having problems displaying a normal map properly. In the example images the figure on the left is using Unity Standard (Roughness setup) shader while the one on the right is an otherwise empty Amplify editor shader, except I've got just plain white color going into albedo.

comparison.PNG
Image one
comparison.PNG (195.73 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

Image one, neither one has a normal map assigned, the amplify-one doesn't even have anything connected to the normal slot in the master node.

comparison2.PNG
Image two
comparison2.PNG (184.59 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

Image two, the one made in amplify editor has a texture node attached to the master node, but the texture hasn't been assigned in the shader editor nor in Unity editor. Why am I getting these weird lines on the model even without any texture assigned to the normal texture?

comparison3.PNG
Image three
comparison3.PNG (150.52 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

Image three, here we have both shaders using the same texture for normal map. As you can tell the weird lines from image two are still there, and the normal map highlights are far less visible.

How would I go about editing the amplify shader in order to have it look like the model on the left?

Also secondary question, how would I go about applying height maps to shaders I make with the Amplify editor? I suppose they've got something to do with vertex offsetting, but I'm still very new to all this and am struggling to wrap my head around all these things.

Thanks in advance!
Iikka

Re: Help with Normals

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Iikka wrote:Hello!

I'm having problems displaying a normal map properly. In the example images the figure on the left is using Unity Standard (Roughness setup) shader while the one on the right is an otherwise empty Amplify editor shader, except I've got just plain white color going into albedo.

comparison.PNG

Image one, neither one has a normal map assigned, the amplify-one doesn't even have anything connected to the normal slot in the master node.

comparison2.PNG

Image two, the one made in amplify editor has a texture node attached to the master node, but the texture hasn't been assigned in the shader editor nor in Unity editor. Why am I getting these weird lines on the model even without any texture assigned to the normal texture?

comparison3.PNG

Image three, here we have both shaders using the same texture for normal map. As you can tell the weird lines from image two are still there, and the normal map highlights are far less visible.

How would I go about editing the amplify shader in order to have it look like the model on the left?

Also secondary question, how would I go about applying height maps to shaders I make with the Amplify editor? I suppose they've got something to do with vertex offsetting, but I'm still very new to all this and am struggling to wrap my head around all these things.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch!

That's definitely not supposed to happen, can you share a sample with the normal issue present?

Regarding the "height map" usage, it really depends on what you're trying to build. You have quite a few options available, be sure to check the included Parallax Mapping sample, Parallax Occlusion Mapping POM, and the Tessellation sample.

Looking forward to your reply!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Iikka » Tue May 15, 2018 8:51 am

Oh man, I just didn't have the "Unpack Normal Map" tickbox ticked for the texture sample node. Ah well, problem's solved now :D

Thanks for the height map tips with the examples, the parallax mapping indeed seems to be what I was looking for. Breaks my brain trying to understand how it works though, haha.
Iikka

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 am

Iikka wrote:Oh man, I just didn't have the "Unpack Normal Map" tickbox ticked for the texture sample node. Ah well, problem's solved now :D
Thanks for the height map tips with the examples, the parallax mapping indeed seems to be what I was looking for. Breaks my brain trying to understand how it works though, haha.

No problem, always happy to help ;)

Be sure to check the available wiki for additional information.

Amplify Shader Editor Wiki
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 am

Iikka wrote:Oh man, I just didn't have the "Unpack Normal Map" tickbox ticked for the texture sample node. Ah well, problem's solved now :D

No problem, always happy to help ;)

Be sure to check the available wiki for additional information.

Amplify Shader Editor Wiki
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor