Fur shader

Your feedback is very important to us. We are listening.

Fur shader

Postby 3d artist1987 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:21 am

Hello,
Any example of fur shader? Or reference for how to start making fur shader?
3d artist1987

Re: Fur shader

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue May 29, 2018 10:46 am

Hello!

We've already started working on a template for hair which will be included in the main ASE package and, although there is no official ETA, it should be available in the near future!

One of our community members is also currently working on a hair shader, so it's definitely possible to achieve it through a custom Multi-Pass template.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Cactus on Fire » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Amplify_Borba wrote:Hello!

We've already started working on a template for hair which will be included in the main ASE package and, although there is no official ETA, it should be available in the near future!

One of our community members is also currently working on a hair shader, so it's definitely possible to achieve it through a custom Multi-Pass template.

That's awesome :D Hair is a pain in the ass with all the transparency sorting issues and not looking natural in general. Is there a work in progress screenshot for the hair template?
Cactus on Fire

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Hello! I'm afraid we're still not ready to share any screenshots as the sample is still under development.

We're going for different types of anisotropy ( Kajiya-Kay, Scheuerman, Marscher, Circular and Ward ), however, implementing these on the surface shader is going to take a while longer.

Stay tuned, we'll share more details as soon as we can!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Cactus on Fire » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Amplify_Borba wrote:Hello! I'm afraid we're still not ready to share any screenshots as the sample is still under development.

We're going for different types of anisotropy ( Kajiya-Kay, Scheuerman, Marscher, Circular and Ward ), however, implementing these on the surface shader is going to take a while longer.

Stay tuned, we'll share more details as soon as we can!

Ah, no worries :)

I'm just wondering is there a special way you handle transparency, or is it the multipass alpha cutout for the opaque mixed with alpha blend for transparency kinda shader?
Cactus on Fire

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 am

No special way at all, multipass cutout and alpha blend are the two possible ways to handle transparency for hair, and its what we're using. This part has already been handled.

The real challenge is handling the illumination, which is still being worked on.
Amplify_Borba

Postby miecz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi! Can't wait for the hair shader too.

Could you consider a temporal antialiased dithering approach (would be great if the Dither Node had a TAA option)? It requires animating a dither pattern (moving it) and blending the result over few frames. Like here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Res ... cCharacter

A similar approach is also used in the Marmoset Toolbag. I know it requires some kind of a TAA implementation, but the results are very promising. This approach uses only a Transparent Cutout blending so it is safe to use along with various full screen effects like HX Volumetric Lighting without the need to change the shader's code.

I've actually tried to create a lame version of the TAA dithered shader, but as I cannot use any TAA in Amplify Shader Editor, I had to rely on Livenda's CTAA. In my hair shader I was moving the dither pattern along the hair cards UV. Here's what I've achieved (but it's a hack on top of a hack and needs Livenda's CTAA :) ).

Thanks for your work!
Attachments
Hair Example.jpg
Hair Example.jpg (184.21 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
miecz

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 pm

miecz wrote:Hi! Can't wait for the hair shader too.

Could you consider a temporal antialiased dithering approach (would be great if the Dither Node had a TAA option)? It requires animating a dither pattern (moving it) and blending the result over few frames. Like here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Res ... cCharacter

A similar approach is also used in the Marmoset Toolbag. I know it requires some kind of a TAA implementation, but the results are very promising. This approach uses only a Transparent Cutout blending so it is safe to use along with various full screen effects like HX Volumetric Lighting without the need to change the shader's code.

I've actually tried to create a lame version of the TAA dithered shader, but as I cannot use any TAA in Amplify Shader Editor, I had to rely on Livenda's CTAA. In my hair shader I was moving the dither pattern along the hair cards UV. Here's what I've achieved (but it's a hack on top of a hack and needs Livenda's CTAA :) ).

Thanks for your work!

Hello,

Sadly things work a bit differently in Unity, that's not something we can quickly add. (note that the UE4 versions uses a TAA solution in a way not so different from what your're trying to build)

We'll definitely keep it in mind!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby miecz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am

Great. Can't wait for your example.
miecz

Postby francois85 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:13 am

Can’t wait for this shader :shock:
francois85

Return to General Discussion