Failing to port shader from shader forge to ASE: grab passes

Node-based Shader Editor

Failing to port shader from shader forge to ASE: grab passes

Postby synapsemassage » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi guys,
I'm developing an assetpackage to render planets and other cosmic stuff http://u3d.as/b0N while it was fairly easy to port written shader code to shader forge it seems impossible to figure out to match AES's shader network with SF. At least I'm failing doing so.

Basically I mimiced the nodes of SF in ASE but unfortunately ASE's rendering is completely different (unsusable) and nodes partially don't behave as expected. (see image with the blackholes: left example ASE, right SF)

The nodes I have problems with are: grab screen position, grab scene color (grab passes), fresnel. And also cull mode front, transparency. I already searched the forum but not succeeding to find a solution. Actually I think it's mixture of misunderstanding of the nodes and buggy nodes.

1. For better understanding I also rebuilt the node network on your wiki page http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title= ... reen_Color
Although my network looks a bit different due to your changes on the unpack scale normal node I suspect it should render the same. Yet the result is different compared to your provided sample image. As you can see the outline on your image is hackly blending into the background and in my network (see image) this doesn't happen although using the same normal map. Could you please recreate the same node network and confirm?

2. cull mode front in combination with using a fresnel on the transparency channel doesn't work.

This happens with Unity 2017.1.0f3 btw but also with other versions of Unity.

I want to achieve the same blackhole effect as with SF and hope you can help to solve my issues and improve my understanding of ASE.
Regards,
Alex
Attachments
amplif-bug2.jpg
rebuilt shader network using grab screen color
amplif-bug2.jpg (219.76 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
amplif-bug.jpg
left ASE, right SF
amplif-bug.jpg (218.95 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
Last edited by synapsemassage on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synapsemassage

Re: Failing to port shader from shader forge to ASE: grab pa

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Hello, thank you for getting in touch and for your support!

ASE and SF handle certain calculations differently and, since ASE provides more flexibility, you might need to make a few adjustments in order to mimic the effect you have created on Sf.

Could you share both ASE and SF samples so that we can examine the differences?
If you prefer to do so privately send them through [email protected].

Regarding your other questions, for the first one, you need to set the shader's Light Model to 'Unlit' in order to achieve the same results.

For the second one, I've tested the suggested setup and it behaves as expected, since Fresnel is a calculation that uses angles, and the back faces make them negative and results in a black surface. Could you provide additional details regarding the Fresnel node setup you've tried and the expected results?
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby synapsemassage » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi,

thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate your offer very much and will send you a demo project with both shaders inside. I made little progress with the blackhole shader but it's still not where it should be.

Based on your hint I replicated the wiki example correctly.

Best regards,
Alex
synapsemassage

Postby synapsemassage » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi,

just wondering if you received my assetpackage file?

Regards,
Alex
synapsemassage

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Hey there, we've received the email and are currently looking into it, apologies for not replying to it in a timely manner.

From a preliminary investigation, it seems that the Refraction is being calculated differently, so we'll try to figure out a workaround for this.

We'll be sure to let you know as soon as we have any further developments, thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby synapsemassage » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:14 pm

cool, thanks!
synapsemassage

Postby synapsemassage » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Any news on this?
synapsemassage

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:32 pm

synapsemassage wrote:Any news on this?

Hello, our developer is currently a bit overloaded so it might take somewhat longer than usual for him to be able to tackle this situation.

We'll definitely get back to you as soon as we have any developments, thank you for understanding!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor