Transparent performance issue

Node-based Shader Editor

Transparent performance issue

Postby RickeitjeVBE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am

Hi reader,

I made an adaptable shader for a project which reads materials from a .txt files and changes what nodes are enabled in the shader, but i've ran against a problem with the transparency. In the image provide you can see how the shader is constructed. Now when I run it in the editor it works fine without any performance issue, but when I build the application and the model has transparency the performance on android phones really tanks. I've tried it on multiple phones and with and without a texture on the transparent material. Now my question was if I could do anything about the performance of the shader so it will run smoothly on phones.

My second question is when I run the build version the emission color is applied but the texturemap isn't and i was hoping you may have a solution for this aswell.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone has a solution.

The image of the shader
RickeitjeVBE

Re: Transparent performance issue

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am

RickeitjeVBE wrote:Hi reader,

I made an adaptable shader for a project which reads materials from a .txt files and changes what nodes are enabled in the shader, but i've ran against a problem with the transparency. In the image provide you can see how the shader is constructed. Now when I run it in the editor it works fine without any performance issue, but when I build the application and the model has transparency the performance on android phones really tanks. I've tried it on multiple phones and with and without a texture on the transparent material. Now my question was if I could do anything about the performance of the shader so it will run smoothly on phones.

My second question is when I run the build version the emission color is applied but the texturemap isn't and i was hoping you may have a solution for this aswell.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone has a solution.

The image of the shader

Hello,

Please elaborate or share a sample for further examination on our side, we can't debug the issue based on the shared information.

Thank you for understanding.
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby RickeitjeVBE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:45 am

Of course sorry for not providing examples.

For the issue with the performance with transparency I can't really provide an example right now. The issue with that is when a model with a material that has transparency is in frame, the fps on all phones goes to 1 fps, while when out of frame or with a model with no transparency the fps is a around 30. This fps drop is only in the build version of the application and not in the play version on unity.

For the emission I can provide screenshots of what's wrong with the material in the build version vs. the play version
This is how it's supposed to look and how it looks in the play mode in Unity:

And this is how it looks in the build version of the application:

I know it's probably something in the build settings I have to change for the shader, not sure what though.
These are my settings for shader in the project graphics settings.

*Edit:
Unity version: 2017.4.3f1
Amplify shader editor version: v1.5.5 rev 00

A snippit of code where the textures are set
I hope this is enough information
RickeitjeVBE

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:56 am

RickeitjeVBE wrote:Of course sorry for not providing examples.

For the issue with the performance with transparency I can't really provide an example right now. The issue with that is when a model with a material that has transparency is in frame, the fps on all phones goes to 1 fps, while when out of frame or with a model with no transparency the fps is a around 30. This fps drop is only in the build version of the application and not in the play version on unity.

For the emission I can provide screenshots of what's wrong with the material in the build version vs. the play version
This is how it's supposed to look and how it looks in the play mode in Unity:

And this is how it looks in the build version of the application:

I know it's probably something in the build settings I have to change for the shader, not sure what though.
These are my settings for shader in the project graphics settings.

*Edit:
Unity version: 2017.4.3f1
Amplify shader editor version: v1.5.5 rev 00

A snippit of code where the textures are set
I hope this is enough information

Thank you for the additional information, we really appreciate it.

I'm afraid we'll need a sample in order to test the issue on our side.

What's your target device?

Do you see the same issue using a Standard Unity material?

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby RickeitjeVBE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Hey,

unfortunatly my boss won't allow me to send any form of the project over for a sample, but our target api is android 7.0 abd the targeted devices are everything that can run ARCore and ARKit and the screenshots were made with a lg nexus 5. if you need any more screenshot of settings or any more info i can provide those.
RickeitjeVBE

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 pm

RickeitjeVBE wrote:Hey,

unfortunatly my boss won't allow me to send any form of the project over for a sample, but our target api is android 7.0 abd the targeted devices are everything that can run ARCore and ARKit and the screenshots were made with a lg nexus 5. if you need any more screenshot of settings or any more info i can provide those.

We're available to sign any NDA required, feel free to contact us directly at [email protected]

We can test your shader with an AR setup but there's no guarantee that we'll replicate the issue. I recommend preparing a simple project without any confidential content that you can share for further analysis.

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor