Local Vertex Offset not displacing

Node-based Shader Editor

Local Vertex Offset not displacing

Postby JohnnyFactor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:22 pm

I am using Local Vertex Offset to displace geometry but it only happens at render time it seems. The plane remains flat in the scene and all my raycasts see only a flat plane. I feel I am misunderstanding what vertex offset actually does and some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

scene.jpg
scene.jpg (137.63 KiB) Viewed 3288 times

ase.jpg
ase.jpg (141.7 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
JohnnyFactor

Re: Local Vertex Offset not displacing

Postby Amplify_Borba » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Hey there, the Vertex Offset displacement not showing up on the scene view wireframe shouldn't happen if you're on Windows, however, Mac has some editor specific issues that might prevent Vertex Offset or Tessellation to show up in the scene, could you confirm which platform and Unity version you're currently on?

Regarding the raycast issue, this is not really an issue nor it is ASE related. In short, if you're performing a raycast via script it will be calculated by the CPU, and since the Vertex Offset operations are calculated by the GPU, it's expected that the data mismatches. You would likely have to perform the vertex deformation on the CPU and then update the mesh collider in order for this to work as expected.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby JohnnyFactor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:53 pm

I am on mac, 10.14.2. Unity version 2018.3.1.

Thanks for clarifying what's going on. Some basic Googling shows I might be able to use sharedMesh to get around the collider issue.
JohnnyFactor

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:39 am

No problem, thank you for sharing your findings with us!

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions or come across any issues.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor