'nographics' flag[SOLVED]

Advanced Color Grading for Unity Pro

'nographics' flag[SOLVED]

Postby art_craft_vlad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Hello,

We had recently encountered that AmplifyColor plugin disables itself when project is built with "-nographics" flag.
Looking through the code I saw that this is because one of the shaders indicates that it is not supported, which is obviously since no graphics is initialized.

Is it necessary to check for shaders support during the build time? What does AmplifyColor do when the project is built that requires shaders execution?

I would thought that shader support should be limited to runtime only and should not affect the builds. Unless there is something that needs those shaders.

Could you please explain?

Thank you,
Vlad
art_craft_vlad

Re: 'nographics' flag

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:13 pm

Hello Vlad,

Thank you for getting in touch, we would be happy to help. We are not entirely sure about your particular case, if possible please elaborate on why you would need AC to be enabled while using the "-nographics" flag. As with similar components AC is disabled because the shaders are invalid while using the "-nographics" flag resulting in pink artifacts or similar issues.

Please do elaborate, we might be missing something.

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby art_craft_vlad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Ricardo Teixeira wrote:Hello Vlad,

Thank you for getting in touch, we would be happy to help. We are not entirely sure about your particular case, if possible please elaborate on why you would need AC to be enabled while using the "-nographics" flag. As with similar components AC is disabled because the shaders are invalid while using the "-nographics" flag resulting in pink artifacts or similar issues.

Please do elaborate, we might be missing something.

Thanks!

Hi Ricardo,

"-nographics" flag is used during the build process of the project. In my understanding it is to allow building the projects on the machines that don't have graphics cards. We were utilizing this flag for our builds, as we don't use any other Unity features that would require graphics card during the build process. That is until we included AmplifyColor into our project.

Our project is a video game, so naturally during the runtime we would require a video card for our player. However, during the build process, AmplifyColor is the only library that requires graphics card.

So, my question is: what does AmplifyColor do during the build process? Is that possible for AmplifyColor to not check for graphics card presence during the build process, if there is no graphics processing occurring?

Thank you,
Vlad
art_craft_vlad

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Hello Vlad,

Thank you for the additional info, we really appreciate it.

So, my question is: what does AmplifyColor do during the build process? Is that possible for AmplifyColor to not check for graphics card presence during the build process, if there is no graphics processing occurring?

AC throws a warning when using the nographics flag but it should work fine in the actual build, we do this for quite complex games without any unwanted issues. Are you getting any actual errors during the build process or in the actual builds?

We had recently encountered that AmplifyColor plugin disables itself when project is built with "-nographics" flag.

But is it normal in the build?

We will run a few tests on our side just to be sure of course, thanks!

Thanks!
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:58 pm

Do you happen to be using an older Amplify Color version?

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby art_craft_vlad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 pm

We are using the version which we acquired last week. I believe it is still the same one on Asset Store.

AC prints a message in build log, something like "AmplifyColor does not support this hardware configuration". When built with -nographics, we do not observe the color changes in our visuals which we expect from enable AmplifyColor. Therefore I assumed that AmplifyColor either: a) disabled itself; b) did not do something during the build process (which I am asking you to confirm).

I am not sure I understood your question whether it is normal or not.

If you can do a build for a simple project with AmplifyColor from the command line using -nographics flag, you should be able to see that the final executable's visuals lack the color alterations that AmplifyColor is expected to do.

Thank you,
Vlad
art_craft_vlad

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Hello Vlad,

Thank you for the additional info, we really appreciate it. We were able to find a new issue that might be the cause of the problem you described, what Unity version do you currently use?

Thanks!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby art_craft_vlad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi Ricardo,

The version is:

Version 5.2.3f1 (f3d16a1fa2dd)
Sun, 15 Nov 2015 08:29:57 GMT
Branch: 5.2/release

Thank you,
Vlad
art_craft_vlad

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:08 pm

For future reference, the issue was corrected in version v1.6.0 dev005.

Thanks
Ricardo Teixeira

Re: 'nographics' flag[SOLVED]

Postby art_craft_vlad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Thank you, Ricardo!
art_craft_vlad

Next

Return to Amplify Color