Purple on Android devices [SOLVED]

Advanced Color Grading for Unity Pro

Purple on Android devices [SOLVED]

Postby Silverfell » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi guys,

to start with, congratulations on the great products. Color is a godsend, though we hit a little snag with some strange colour reproduction.

Here is a screenshot from the Amplify Color-corrected Unity editor:

These colours are reproduced fairly accurately on Webplayer and Standalone builds, but whenever we try to run it on one of our Android devices, the result is this:

The purple cast to those areas is consistent on all the devices we tried (HTC One, Samsung S5, Nexus 5 and Nexus 7), thought we have an unconfirmed report of the colours being fine on a Point of View Mobii 825D.

The game isn't using any other post-processing filters, and runs one a single orthographic camera. Most sprites in the scene use the BlendVertexColor shader that comes with the Unikron 2D Toolkit distribution (source here)

We can provide you with the game's apk for testing purposes if you like (privately, of course). How do we fix this?
Silverfell

Re: Purple on Android devices

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi Silverfell,

First of all, thank you for using our products.

Is your Android build using Amplify Color Quality Mode Standard or Mobile? What about the Webplayer and Standalone builds your testing against?

It would really help us if you could just provide that background image (as PNG) and the LUT you're using on it. That's all we need to sort out this issue. We have a Nexus 7 (late 2013) ourselves and should be able to test under the same conditions.

Cheers
Research & Development at Amplify Creations
Diogo Teixeira

Postby Silverfell » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi Diogo,

here are the two files, as requested.

The purple colouring appears on both Standard and Mobile quality, and the Web Player and Standalone builds were actually made with Mobile quality on (the project's default setting). My Nexus 7 has Android 4.4.2, and that's about all the variables I can think of.

Thank you for the speedy reply.
Attachments
CdPreset1.png
The LUT
CdPreset1.png (25.63 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
back3.png
The background file
back3.png (82.25 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Silverfell

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Thank you for including the files. Highly appreciated.

I'll have a look at this and get back to you as soon as possible next week.

In the meantime, please make sure that none of the LUT's compression settings are being overridden for a specific platform and that global compression is not enabled, as it will affect the LUTs as well and may cause this type of artifact in color transformations.

So please ensure that the LUTs are uncompressed RGB24 all the way to the final package and runtime on the device.

Regardless, I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able to replicate the problem.
Diogo Teixeira

Postby Silverfell » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:59 pm

The LUT was set to copy the settings for all the ones in the "Samples" folder, which is Automatic Truecolor. Just to test, I set it to RGB24 as you suggest, and recompiled - no change, same purple hue. I also confirm that the bug is somehow device-bound, as the CC worked fine on an aging Sony Tablet S.
Silverfell

Postby Silverfell » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi guys,

are there any updates on this one? For our part, we can confirm that there are no rendering issues on Ipad 2, Ipad 3 and iPhone 5s.
Silverfell

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:29 am

Silverfell wrote:Hi guys,

are there any updates on this one? For our part, we can confirm that there are no rendering issues on Ipad 2, Ipad 3 and iPhone 5s.

I apologize for the delay. This is a tricky one indeed. Will do some more tests this week.
Diogo Teixeira

Postby Silverfell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 am

Hey guys, any word on this? Even knowing whether it's been internally dropped would help me clear out my task lists.
Silverfell

Postby Silverfell » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 pm

Calling this one closed, and dropped for lack of support.
Silverfell

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:14 pm

This is really unfortunate, I was just combing through the forum because we were relying on notifications to keep track. It's been failing too much that we even decided to close the support forum and request everyone to use email ([email protected]) or contact form instead.

Diogo is the only developer working on all these plugins and he's been biting more than he can chew, so he asked me to keep track instead.

I'd like to extend to you our deepest apologies. We screwed up, and completely understand if you prefer to not deal with us again and jump directly to a refund. We're taking full responsibility for this so, if you have any trouble claiming a refund directly from the Asset Store, I can assure you that we will personally refund you for the full amount and take the loss. Feel free to contact us via [email protected] if you have any issues.

Regardless, I will get to the bottom of this and find out what happened to this ticket. I'm pretty sure this got fixed already but I will check with the dev. If not, I'll move it to high priority immediately.

Again, I apologize. This is the first time we screw up like this. Sorry it had to be you.

All the best,
Ricardo Teixeira
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Next

Return to Amplify Color